COTE DE TEXAS: Design Books Library

Design Books Library



My design book library is exploding along with the trend. For years, I had a few books on interior design: ones I had from college, some early youth book-of-the-month club books, a few others collected here and there. But for the past five years it seems, new, glorious and hard-to-resist design books come out every week. The months leading up to Christmas are particularly hard on the pocketbook. My favorite books seem to be those about one house: Bunny Williams' An Affair with a House, Rose Tarlow's, The Private House, and Charlotte Moss' Winter House immediately come to mind. I also love the series on French Design by Betty Lou Phillips and Charles Faudree. I'm trying to collect all of Beta-Plus' gorgeous catalogue and am almost there. Then there are the series from the magazines owned by Better Home and Gardens - they seem to put out new books daily! Even Pottery Barn has a nice series, believe it or not.



John Saladino's only design book is a bible to me. When will Dan Carither's write one? I want that book! Henrietta Churchill has a great series of English design. Anything put out by Rizzoli House is worth reading. The same goes for British House and Garden. I'll buy any book that has the word Provence or French or Antique in the title.




Why all the books? Interior design seems to be the rage. Witness all the national chain home stores in business today: Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Ikea, and Z Gallerie. The furniture business used to be only local with maybe a Pier I thrown in the mix. HGTV helps the trend, but it's bad for designers - we can't all redo a home, or a room for the matter, in 24 hours. Here are a few pictures of my design books and where I'm stashing them. My French home (hopefully!) is beginning to take on the look of an English country home (I wish) where books lay around for generations. Où devrait je mettre mes livres?

7 comments :

  1. Wow, that is a lot of books. I would love to come and spend some time looking through all the lovliness. I think you need a libary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - stop by - do you live in Houston? I forgot to say where I buy most of my books (wholesale!). I'm going to write about that later today if I have time.

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also love to come spend a week sitting in a comfy armchair in front of those book shelves. I am just beginning to learn about interior design (did i mention I fell in love hard when I bought my first "Beautiful Homes" magazine upon buying my first new house?). Now I can't get enough. I can hardly pay attention at work! Anyway, thanks for all the tips on great designers too. I would love to know what your favorite books are, etc. I am raiding the library these days until I figure out what style I am, etc. and what books I really want to own. I will say French country is really up my alley (hence why I was happy to find your site through a great blog called All The Best)..!

    Thanks - I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri - thanks for your comments. I'd love to help you with any questions on design that you have. If you need help with your house, send a digital pix and I'll be there for you! Working on your own house is the hardest thing you can do. Believe me, you can read my own problems with my house I am having right now!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is an illness isn't it? And this fall is going to be FANTASTIC with all of the new releases. I get heart palpitations thinking about it. I do like how you've displayed/stored your books. Very stylish, but cozy at the same time. And, I love your painting of the King Charles Spaniel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your book shelf and the narrow side panel for displaying the full front of the book!! I can see one of my favourite books there: John Stefandidis Living by Design. Please do share your wholesale book supply source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joni,
    I also love Bunny Williams' "Affair with a House," because it feels so autobiographical, and allows you to participate with how Bunny Williams lives. I absolutely adore Rose Tarlow's book, "A Private Life," its sensibility extends beyond design and art and enters the realm of poetry and spirituality. Whether or not one completely embraces Rose Tarlow's personal aesthetic, one feels how universal and serene the process of creating is. I always return to her book for a sense of grounding and connection to the source of appreciation of creativity. Thank you so much for your endlessly inspiring, beautiful blog.

    Sabrina dawdlebythedaffodils@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete