COTE DE TEXAS: Farrow and Ball and Emma Jane

Farrow and Ball and Emma Jane



There is a rash of new design books coming out this fall in time for the Christmas shopping season. My pre-released order with Amazon is obscene: I owe them a king's ransom for all these soon to be released books. But that's ok, this is my only hobby, so I indulge it. These new books are just starting to trickle in. Alex Vervoordt's came the other day and it's a winner, totally gorgeous. Another one that's arrived is the new Farrow and Ball: The Art of Color. For those who aren't familiar with Farrow and Ball: F & B is an English company specializing in paints. Not paints as in Sherwin Williams, but paints like those made centuries ago. With names like Cooking Apple Green and Book Room Red, part of the appeal is in the romance of times gone by. Their palette is extremely limited, only 132 colors as opposed to the thousands of colors made by other paint companies. Their paint is made the old fashioned way without "modern" cost cutting measures taken. Besides paint, they also manufacturer wallpaper of the highest quality. Their designs are traditional stripes and damasks, but recently they came out with a few hipper colorways.

A company that produces such high quality goods deserves to be written about and now, they have been, twice. I wasn't taken with the first F & B book, Paint, but the new one The Art of Color is a completely different story. The photography is luscious at times and moody at others, the lens' subjects are breathtaking. One chapter that really stands out is Emma Jane Pilkington's apartment. I'm not sure if it's ever been published before, I googled for awhile and couldn't find any hint of it anywhere. So, forgive me if you've seen her apartment before.

Emma Jane, an Australian by birth, but raised in Greenwich, is a young, hot decorator who has received volumes of national press. Her apartment for Ivanka Trump is a work of art, done in bright shades of blues and reds. In fact, most of Emma Jane's published work is bright and happy. Her apartment, though, is anything but. Mainly painted in three shades of Farrow and Ball paints, the apartment is neutral in color. With a combination of modern art pieces and antique furniture, it shows Pilkington's sophisticated knowledge of classical design and refined taste for art instead of the more trendy look we've come to expect of her. Take a look at these pictures to see a side of Emma Jane that might suprise you.




Pilkington's apartment for Ivanka Trump, young and dynamic, exactly like it's owner. The colors are bright, the prints are bold.


Another design by Pilkington, here she uses Raoul Textiles in bright pinks and yellows.




And now, for something completely different, Pilkington's apartment. Modern sculpture by Mauro Corda plays against antiques such as the gold mirror. An obvious book lover, she displays them on a center table, an antique from a Rajastani palace.



Here, she mixes antique furniture, a pair of crystal chandeliers, and a stunning modern art piece just reflected in the antique mirror.




A close up of the sculpture by Verner Panton.



A contemporary sculpture by C. Jere sits atop an antique settee. Nearby is a spoon back Regency chair.



A corner of the living room with an antique zograscope and Buccellati silver atop an antique Tric Trac table, from 1760.



The study, with an antique directoire daybed juxtaposed with a leopard print contempory chair.




Close up of the daybed and another gorgeous antique mirror.




The classic kitchen with a wall of antique mushroom prints.



This bathroom is so atmospheric with the moody candlelight and marble tub. The hanging basket under the antique prints with just a touch of color from the purple flowers.




A close up of a Venetian mirror from the 1840's.




The master bedroom, with a gorgeous wall of mirrored closet doors.




Another view of the bedroom and it's unusual antique lighting fixture.

If you enjoyed these pictures, I would suggest you pick up Farrow and Ball: The Art of Color. These are just a small sample of the wonderful images from the book.

30 comments :

  1. Great post Joni. I love to use the Farrow and Ball paints. They have a depth of color not found in other paints. The book looks like a must have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Joni, my whole house is painted in F&B! I particularly like 'Pointing' (my sitting and dining rooms with the chandeliers are done in that) and of course cooking apple green on my kitchen cupboards! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh, that's definitely going on my Christmas list -- thanks for the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you've gotten your copy before I have! Mine is coming straight from my publisher. It looks gorgeous. The apartment is beautiful and you must have had chills when you saw that round table stacked with books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Does it say where Pilkington lives? It looks like a city apartment (albeit a large one)! I love the picture of the gray walls with the soft gray window treatment, and the antique settee and contemporary sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farrow and Ball is so white hot in Canada. I swear, every designer is using it. This is an amazing company. Class Act. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another book I must have. I am drooling over those photos. Especially like the mirrored doors in that master bedroom, and the tub! Oh my, the tub!

    Thanks for the book tour! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news! I was just at a friend's house last night admiring her Farrow and Ball paint color on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know Joni! Thanks for letting us know EJP's apartment is included :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it is all so gorgeous. I can't tell you how much I wish I could afford some new books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Joni! It is going on my list immediately. I got my Axel book too and LOVE it. I think the Amazon preorder thing is the way to get books as soon as they hit the market. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll put this on my list. I have a pre-order list at Amazon, at the moment, too!

    Great post, this looks like a wonderful book.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. My understanding is that European paints have a higher percentage of pigment in them than American paints do. That's why they're so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joni- I've got to get this ASAP!!! The photos of EJP's apt are great. There was an article from H&G a few years ago about her apt, but they didn't show the bath and some other detail shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That photo of Ivanka Trumps apartment is just too much. I am so sick with envy and lust for that room. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. interestingly, I was just at their showroom in downtown Chicago on Friday! They were closing so we couldn't really spend much time, but it was lovely to see their collection in person nonetheless.

    What a great post you've put together. I love the impact color has on mood. Understanding that impact is such an art!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh...I will have to pick up the book now!! I just love all these images, thanks for sharing Joni!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post...this is another book to add to my growing list. I have scheduled my husband and his big car for a date to go to the bookstore...there are so many fabulous new books out or just coming out. (or maybe I should just order, that will avoid the "do you need ALL of these"!)

    Thanks, this was a stunning post!
    Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL pictures--- I LOOOOVE that kitchen!

    Great feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic, Love Ivanka's apartment. Nice post Joni

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joni, thanks for sharing. This definitely looks like something I want to pick up :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Joni:
    I was at the fabric store & picked this up & had to have it. I ordered it just this past Mon. & regret doing the supper saver shipping - I love it!! Anyway, I was exploring your blog & just discovered that you had written about this no doubt a year ago! Anyway, on my way home & I hope my book is there! Thanks for the pictures - I will post of few once I get my book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Emma Jane Pilkington does a great job organizing. I wish she would do my closet! Check out her profile here http://www.clos-ettetoo.com/blogs/clos-ette-case/3527432-clos-ette-case-emma-jane-pilkington

    ReplyDelete
  24. louis vuitton uk are diversified in various kinds, handbags, backpacks, portable bags, purses, wallets and pouches. All kinds are popular among the whole word people.louis vuitton Store Online Handbags can also bring great accuracy as well as practical applicability and fashionable.Have you ever dreamed of being as charming as Madonna? Have you ever thought of becoming an envy of all your friends? If so, come to louis vuitton outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. At the coach outlet online you have the largest selection of the day. If you touch the item and like it, keep it in your possession until you make your final decision.The coach factory outlet has been in business for many years. You can log in to find more information about its products and services.You know, Coach items are so perfect and fascinating. Now I grow up, and find coach outlet on the Internet offering affordable products with reliable quality.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.All people give the good comments for the coach factory online, and now the Coach outlet store provides many discount goods online.Coach bags enjoy high popularity throughout the world. I would like to share the coach factory outlet online with you. What are you waiting for? Just come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.It is believed that you will like the products on the coach factory online. There are spacious sizes and different colors, styles and so on.in the market you definitely can find various colorways that are designed in as well as the high quality that applied in. For most of you would like to come. So just come to our coach factory outlet online store to choose one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. coach outlet has always been simple,durable style features to win consumers.The products are more flexible,with easy bleaching,wear characteristics,and simply use a damp cloth.Where there are women, there are bags. Where there are bags, there are coach outlet store online. Coach products are the direction indicator of the latest fashion and trend.At the coach outlet online you have the largest selection of the day. If you touch the item and like it, keep it in your possession until you make your final decision.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Coach bag is from the latest release of Coach Bags. Its crisp, scribble material, leather handle, perfectly complements the relaxed shape of this stylish pouch. All the items of coach outlet online Store fit all of your essentials and more.Bright colors, exquisite workmanship, durable material and up-to-date style all lead to the great fame of the goods in coach outlet.As a fashion and modern lady, you can never have too many bags but Coach, Coach is a great leather handbags brand. coach outlet store online have different look according to different designer concept.

    ReplyDelete