COTE DE TEXAS: Readers Houses!

Readers Houses!

 

 

image

 

As you know – because I tell you all the time  - every day I get emails from readers.  Sometimes the emails are accompanied by pictures of their houses.    I love getting those emails – it’s fun for me to see readers houses and even to offer a few design tips, but ONLY if I am asked to.   Otherwise, I take off my interior decorator hat and just admire their house as any friend would.    Although some emails are from readers wanting advice, most just send in pictures to share with me.   Many times the houses are decorated in a way that the reader knows I will admire and  just wants me to see it.    Some  homeowners don’t send pictures of their entire house, rather they send snapshots of just one special room recently redecorated.    I have no idea why I love looking at other peoples houses, but I do.   And, I suspect if you are reading this blog, you are the same way too.  So today, I am going to show you a few houses and special rooms from readers so you can enjoy them as much as I have.    Most interesting of all is that most of these houses were not professionally decorated, rather the homeowner put it together herself.    If you have sent me pictures of your house and it’s not included here, do not take it personally!    I have so many images stored on my computer, it’s impossible for me to look through all of them to find every house sent to me these past two years!    These that I am showing today just happened to have been easily found on the hard drive.     Also, if you think you do want to  share your house with other readers – don’t be shy!    I’m hoping to make Readers Houses a regular feature of the blog from here on out. 

 

 

017

Kim from somewhere in the midwest sent me pictures of her beautiful house.    First up is her entry hall with a vignette designed around a silver mirror and lamps.  Right past the entry is an office behind French doors.   I wish there was a picture of this room – it looks so interesting with its patterned rug and pillow!  

 

 

020

Facing the entry hall is the living area on the left and the family room and kitchen on the right.   Here you can really get a feel for the house – the colors, the whites and light blues mixed with black accents.  Which room tugs at you to see first – the living room or the family room?   For me – even though Kim’s husband and the cat look so cozy in the family room - the living room is calling.

 

 

 

021

With the pretty staircase overlooking it, the living room is bright, light, and beautiful!   The room is double height with lots of windows that really add to the ambiance here.  The curtains are a wonderful silk stripe in blue and white and notice the pattern is railroaded, meaning the stripes run horizontal instead of the more usual vertical direction.      The large pattern is perfect in this size room.   The sofa matches wonderfully in white with the blue trim and the zebra pillows pop against all the more pastel colors in the room.    In fact, black is an important accent color  - besides the pillows, it is found in the piano and the lampshades.   I love the large trendy chandelier – it’s the right size exactly for this high ceilinged room.   Kim adds a large mink throw for texture.   What a pretty room – I love it!

 

 image                        

  A close up shot of the sofa with all the pillows and the luxurious throw.    Let’s go see the nearby dining room.

 

 

 

 

017

The dining room is a bright, sunny space.   With its glass topped table, surrounded by casually slipcovered chairs- the painting really sets the mood in this room.     The pillows that are placed on the chairs all pick up the bright colors found in the painting.    Further bursts of colors come from the glassware found on the tablescape.   I wish we could see the lighting fixture!    Very cute room!!!

 

 

 

043

Heading back into the central hall,  the family room and kitchen are on the right side of the house.    Here you can see part of the family room with the animal print rug and two white chairs and ottoman.  Notice the breakfast room is off to the very back right of this room.

 

 

005

The family room connects to the large white kitchen.   There is another back staircase in this room.  

 

 

 

 

002

Off to the side in a large bay window is the breakfast room – so charming!  I love the way Kim has accessorized the table with a runner and candlesticks.   The light fixture is so pretty too.   I adore this room!    Notice what an important role all the green from outside plays in all the different rooms.     The foliage really adds so much color to the house. 

 

 

014

The kitchen has beautiful Carrara marble counter tops and great cabinetry.   In every room, Kim has used a wonderful chandelier which really adds an important design element.   I love how the pantry has a French door! 

 

 

 

 

012

The backsplash is subway tiles, also in marble.   This is really a pretty kitchen with the glass front cabinets and the wood hood.  

 

 

 

033

The master bedroom is a serene place, with a chandelier and two large mirrors that make the entire room sparkle. 

 

 

 

041

And finally the verdant back yard with its wonderful swimming pool!    Thank you Kim for sharing your beautiful house with us!!!!!

 

 

 

#14 Living Room Seating

Homeowner Two:   our next reader’s house is owned by a woman who wanted to share her love of accessories and collecting with me.   Like she said – we have many of the same collections – and she is so right!  I see right away we both love zebra rugs and blue and white porcelains!

 

 

Round Bookcase & Book Screen

This is so charming – an antique round bookcase filled with design books, of course!  I love the screen behind it, made of book faces.  She loves books as much, if not more, than I do!

 

 

#18 Sitting Area

I adore this – around a game table – four blue and white garden seats!   She has me beat - I only have three garden seats.

 

 

Books with Dogs and Flowers

Another thing we both collect is bronze dog figures  AND design books.  I’m not sure who has more books, she or I, but it’s a tight race.   I see we own many of the same books.   But more important – I spy a picture of the owner hugging a English Springer Spaniel, very much like my own Georgie.    Is this my house or hers??????   I’m getting a little confused here!

 

 

 

Dogs and Books

Another view of the same tablescape – Living With Dogs is one of my favorite design books!  

 

 

 

Dog Books & Dog Bowl Collection

In this beautiful antique secretary is a collection I don’t have – but it’s so charming I may start one – vintage dog bowls!   I love this!!!   The entire cabinet is an expression of her love of dogs – she must be the sweetest woman in the world!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Chinese Calligraphy Brushes

More blue and white and calligraphy brushes.   We both share a love of orchids.  I only own one calligraphy brush. 

 

 

 

Dining Room Bookcase of Cookbooks Her collection of cooking books fills the bookcase in the dining room.  OK  - here we part ways.   I don’t have a love of cooking.  Whew!  I thought we were the same person until now!

 

 

 

 

Bowl of Cookbooks 

A view of the vignette atop the console in the dining room.   This homeowner collect religious santos and art work that celebrates the Hispanic woman.   AND she loves orange roses – me too!!!!!

 

 

 

Birthday Party Entry Table with Books & Roses At the homeowner’s 60th birthday party, her family collected all the things from her house that she loves and decorated the party room with her favorites.  What a great idea – I have to remember this for my 60th birthday, in five years!    Here, her love of quilts, santos, blue and white, and orange roses is evident.

 

 

Birthday Fudge with Santo Praying A view of the party table – I see “Antiques At Home” another favorite book of mine.    The fudge looks slightly delicious.

 

 

image

She’ll probably kill me for this – but the beautiful homeowner at her 60th birthday party- thank you for sharing your wonderful house and all your  collections with us!!!!

 

 

 

MstrBdrm-1 Homeowner Three:  Our third homeowner sent in this picture of her bedroom – telling me how much I would love it!  I wonder why?  Could it be the checked upholstered headboard, or the beautiful Scalamandre Oriental toile wallpaper?   Or would it be the vintage sunburst mirror?    Thank you Ms. MDC for sharing your beautiful bedroom with us !!!

 

 

 

 

P1000898Homeowner  Four:     Our Fourth homeowner today sent in pictures of her house – and I want to show you how darling her kitchen is – all in black and white, with subway tiles and black granite.    The floor tiles are perfect, and I love the white linen curtains along with the white ironstone too.  But the chandelier is the perfect touch!!!  Thanks for sharing!!  You’ve done a great job with your house.

 

 

 

P1080084 Homeowner Five:   This homeowner today writes from South Africa!    Her house is built around a courtyard where there is a large swimming pool.  Notice the lions on top of the roof!  This is Africa, after all.

 

 

P1070563

Her living room is so pretty with its stone fireplace.

 

 

 

P1070681

I especially love the French inspired bedroom with its trumeau mirror.

 

 

 

P1080158

But what really caught my eye was this bathroom with its crystal chandelier, twin Venetian mirrors and luxurious silk window shade – all just so beautiful!  Thank you for sharing!

 

 

 

100_2754Homeowner Six:   This young homeowner wanted to share her dining room which she had just finished decorating.  She thought I would like it – wonder why?   Well, the slipped chairs are adorable – I like how she put tops on only two of the chairs – it creates a visual interest.  Cute ballet ties too!   And I love the dark wall color with the white slipcovers – it makes them pop.  The plates are the perfect addition too – love that!   You did a great job!!!! 

 

 

 

DSC01845

Homeowner Seven:     This reader told me – you are going to love my living room –we share so many things.  Yes we do!  Let me count the ways:  Bennison Roses fabric, seagrass, zebra, white slips, French settee, blue and white, orchid, sconces -  yes, you are so right!!  We do share a love of so many of the same things!! 

 

 

hunterlibrary2_921westcliffeAnd finally, I really want to show you this house, but I don’t have the homeowner’s email anymore.  If this is your dog, email me!   This homeowner sent in professional pictures of her beautiful house and I want to make sure it’s not being published before I share it.

 

Thank you again to all the homeowners today who have shared their houses and their special rooms with me and you!   What is most interesting, is I don’t think many were professional designed – just homeowners with style and taste who put together their house with the things they love.  If you have designed your house and want to show it off, let me know!  I hope to continue to show “real houses” not just all the more professionally designed houses we see in the magazines. 

 

Vicente_Wolf_camera_smile

 

And one bit of blog business, this week The Skirted Roundtable was thrilled to welcome internationally acclaimed interior designer AND blogger Vicente Wolf.    Wolf   was extremely interesting, talking about everything from his childhood in Cuba to his present day design service, working  hard to maintain a profitable business in this terrible economy.   If you haven’t had a chance to listen – please go HERE to do so.   ENJOY!!!!

66 comments :

  1. Wonderful glimpses into others' lives. I feel like a big juicy 'fly on the wall' !!! Most of the owners/homes you showcased today (I'm guessing) have similar taste and style as you and/or felt as though you would greatly appreciate their design projects. This is so interesting and I hope you show more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had a lot of books! But house #2 has me beat by miles. I'd love to go through her collection and see what she's got. I also love her calligraphy bruch collection.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to these homeowners who shared their homes. They are just lovely and wonderfully inviting. I have to laugh as this is like that recent glamour magazine photo that got so much attention, where they showed a real woman in the buff instead of a model. Refreshing.

    Angela in WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to these homeowners who shared their homes. They are just lovely and wonderfully inviting. I have to laugh as this is like that recent glamour magazine photo that got so much attention, where they showed a real woman in the buff instead of a model. Refreshing.

    Angela in WA

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is random and has nothing to do with this post... so you know it's me... i'm obsessing. as always. where does Lauren Ross have her slipped lamp shades made? please respond so I can sleep again. Hoots Mom! PS hope you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. * Oh Joni, what a great, fun and refreshing idea!!! (You are TOOO creative, thank our lucky heavens!). This was just SOOOOO MUCH F*U*N!!!

    There was "something for everyone" here (and LOTS for MOST of us!), and oh, did I DELIGHT in EVERYTHING~~~ The "Dog Lover" home, of course, spoke to me in a personal way & I was enchanted & enthralled with everything!!!

    One could ramble on & on about all the delightful HIGHLIGHTS of this particular posting, so may I just suffice it to say PLEEEASE go ahead & DO what you're thinking, and DO THIS MORE OFTEN!!!!

    Again, enjoyed & loved every second... and to all the homeowners, a sincere THANK YOU for sharing your BEAUTIFUL, creative, stunning & fun PERSONAL SPACES with us!!! KUDOS to them AND to you, dearest Joni!

    Hugs,
    Linda in AZ *

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful homes! Number 2 blew me away with her amazing Santos collection - I love them (but only have 3 - reproductions). Really lovely! Thanks for featuring them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joni - what this says to me it that your readers feel so connected to you. Thanks for opening your own home to us - and now theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun Joni! Thanks for this post. I, too, love seeing other's homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun post! I love all the chandies everywhere! so pretty! fun to check out what inspires others!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can certainly see why they sent you photos - the homes are wonderful, each in their own way. I am so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Joni, I've been a peeping penelope into people's pretty places for so long and this post just whet my whistle for more. How wonderful of your readers to share glimpses with you and with us! Andn that Vicente Fox is awesome. I've long admired his design aesthetic. Not to mention he's pretty well designed himself! lol! Can't wait to go hear more of the Skirted Roundtable now that my darling grandchildren are out of the house!

    Victoria in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love looking at other people's homes, it is one of my favorite things to do... And everyone of them was just lovely.thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CORRECTION: I meant "WOLF" not "FOX" as in Vicente. Although I think he's more of the latter than the former. heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing these. They all have lovely homes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vintage dog bowls!! A collection of vintage dog bowls!! Why haven't I thought of this???

    ReplyDelete
  17. All beautiful homes, Joni! Thank you and the homeowners, so much, for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post; hope the series continues! Kim somewhere in the midwest - can I transplant your kitchen to upstate NY? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post was particularly fabulous because it is real and not staged. I find inspiration in your blog everytime I read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed this post, as I too share your love for peeking into people's homes (what did people do before real estate listings were online?). I must say, Kim's home really spoke to me. I love the kitchen - it is a wonderfully soft alternative to a white and stainless kitchen. I adore her vent hood and the tile in the backsplash. Kim, if you are reading this (or maybe you know, CDT), can you tell me where your barstools came from? I love the 'x' pattern in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That bathroom in South Africa.....LOVE IT!!!! These were all so great and so much fun!
    Sally W.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was fun!! Thanks Joni... and thanks to the readers who let you share their homes with us!!
    As much as I enjoyed all the interiors, I especially love the first photo of the fountain courtyard with its manicured landscaping and the shutters and the gate... very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely love the vintage dog bowls.....a tough item to find without cracks and chips. You did a great job of showing minimalist and "cluttered" environments! ( I am a clutter girl) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joni,
    I adore this idea! I just love seeing inspiration from all over!It also makes me feel flattered that you took the time to look at my humble house and comment so nicely on my blog too! You really are too sweet! Thanks! Keep up the great work!
    the only prob with all this that I have is that it kinda makes me want like 3 houses so I can fulfill my desire to decorate!! Either that or I am starting over again! haha! Don't tell my hubby!;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joni, Thank you! What a treat. This is precisely why I love driving by people's homes as dusk - so you can peek inside! All of the designs make me want to move from Nor. Calif. where prices are high - and little room is left in the budget for beautiful decor!

    ReplyDelete
  26. While I love seeing designed homes this really is my favorite. Peeking in to others houses is one of my favorite things to do. I think that is the reason I adore blogs, it seems like I am peeking into houses and lives. I especially love the blue and white curtains with the stripe railroaded. I love the garden seats at the game table. I love the round book holder. I love the dog bowls. Please do more of this, I can relate so much more to real houses yet still aspire to designer done perfection. Thanks, xoxo, MB

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG this was soooo much fun! I hope you continue this as a new series :o) I just love seeing how people really live in their houses versus staged for magazines. Fabulous!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there! I am a new follower and so enjoy your blog. It feels like I am looking through the pages of a nice magazine. :D That round bookcase is PERFECT! I would love to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! After seeing photos of some of your readers homes, I'm not sure I'm even qualified to read your blog! Thank you for sharing these beautiful rooms. I always think it's fun to look at other's homes, but especially fun if they look like these! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Joni,
    I was really surprised that people send you all this images of their home!
    I think they really all have a big confidence in your knowledge! Nice to hear that!
    And yes , I also love looking at other people's homes!
    I love the 3th and 4th images on your post!
    A great post, Joni!

    Have a nice sunday!

    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed this post so much. I love looking at interiors of how real people live and the home with the vintage dog bowl collection was so much fun. You really see the owners personality in her home. I love the wood walls in the LR. And her love of dogs and cooking speaks to me.
    Please transplant Kims kitchen to me.
    All the homes were just gorgeous! Thank you all for opening up your homes, The peeping tom in me loves it. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  32. joni,

    you inspire us and connect with your readers in an intimate way, like a conversation. of course they would want to share. great post! look forward to many more on this topic
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  33. How fun! I love seeing how other people live! All the homes were lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am with you Joni, I love to see the homes and decor of others. It is also nice to pick up a tidbit of an idea here and there. I adored the Santos collection.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful rooms with lots of variety and style. Guess we all love looking into each other's homes and I agree it's great to see them not to professionally styled with more of a lived in feel. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing these homes with us, Joni. I love looking at pictures of real estate listing and especially of "real" homes. Your readers have lovely homes.

    I am fairly new to your blog and I love it! Your series on small homes was wonderful. I love the way you write - the way you go over the details in each picture is so informative and helpful. Thank you for such thoughtful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Joni! These homes are beautiful!! I have a question for homeowner #2---who is the manufacturer of that great tiger fabric on your sofa's pillow?? I am on a quest to get me some!! Please! :)
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  38. love the floor in that kitchen...may have solved my floor dilemma, only I think I will do larger scale and grey and black tiles..

    ReplyDelete
  39. Joni - when I saw that you had a new post yesterday, I saved viewing for a my quiet Sunday morning tea. Was just lusting after Kim's backyard when I saw the yellow sofa (my personal tribute the the 'duchess of decorating' Dorothy Draper) in the next photo. My eyes just about popped out of my head seeing my very own living room on the screen! What an honor of no small measure. Thank you for the generous and gracious remarks about my home and collections. And you are certainly off-the-hook for the photo - silver hair and all, I am just thrilled to have reach 60! Actually, these are the most productive and rewarding years thus far in the journey!

    Rita / On the Border, By the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  40. Joni, I think this is my favorite post ever! I sat here with a smile on my face the whole time I was reading through it - I guess because I am so passionate about people expressing themselves in their homes, and these people have done just that - combined great taste with their own loves and collections and style - I just love it!! Of course, I always love seeing what great interior designers do, and the best ones help people express who they are, too - I just think it is so dear that these people have done their own decorating and wanted to share their homes with you - it all just makes me feel good. Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Okay. here is where I will admit I had stopped leaving comments becasue I was feeling very out of place lately. I seemed to be one of the odd ducks who loved being surrounded by what I call my life's accessories. Now I see your numbertwo homeowner and that she was actually praised by a decorator who I admire and wow. Maybe I am not such an odd duck afterall! Okay, I probably am still odd but not for what I love in home decor!
    This post just made me smile. Please tell *Homeowner #3* that I adore her!!!

    Oh, I adore you too but I think you already knew that!

    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  42. They are all lovely! Wow, so many talented people out there.

    Nice post. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Joni,

    Thank you so much for showing my kitchen. I feel honored that you liked it enough to share it with your readers. It has been an adventure restoring this old place. Thank you also for the input on the rest of the house. I loved looking at all the other homes too. Thanks again.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  44. I guess you never know what talented people are reading your blog! Stunning! Kudos to the homeowners!!

    Vicente was great...missed you though!! I like his no-excuses approach to the field.

    Best,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  45. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! What a great post- your readers are certaainly stylish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Joni, thanks for sharing these images. They are all lovely homes all for different reasons. I love love love those beautiful windows in Kims living room.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Some really inspiring places here, the kitchens are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank You for sharing real hoses with us. I loved the yellow cushions on the light blue sofa in the tv room from house number one. Anybody knows where they are from?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Real life! Keep it coming : )

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love seeing 'real' homes that are so beautiful and lived in as well. Lovely post Joni! I would love for your readers to enter our best bedroom contest! Vicente is one of our judges too!

    www.allthebestbedrooms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a fun post! These folks have done such a great job. I especially love the living room in house #1. The colors are wonderful and those drapes...WOW.
    marcie

    ReplyDelete
  53. I can see why your readers would send you images of their homes. They are beautiful and warm. You really get a sense of the owners' personality from each picture. Thank you to your readers and to you for sharing these homes with us.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  54. Joni,
    What a surprise and an honor to see my bedroom included in Readers Homes!
    Thank you for thinking it worthy of sharing. Thank you also to your readers for all the kind and positive comments.

    All the best,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  55. If this were more fun, it would be illegal! Thank you Joni showing readers' homes and to all of the readers out there who went commando. I salute your skills and your courage!

    ReplyDelete
  56. #2 was featured on the blog My Favorite and My Best - it's really funny.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love this idea....looking forward to getting a sneak peek into more. Also loving the calligraphy brushes. -susan

    ReplyDelete
  58. Read your blog faithfully and appreciate the time and effort you put into doing it. Thanks. I love house #2 and would like to add her blog to my favorites also. How would I access it?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Such beautiful homes, I always love looking at how others live- this is a great inside peek, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Joni:
    Readers Homes a regular feature - love it!! Excellent ideal! Perhaps when I'm doing re-mauveing my house, I'll send you some pictures! Thanks Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Linda - she doesn't have a blog! house #
    2 that I know of?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi Joni,

    This would be a great regular feature. I so enjoy it.
    Question: Homeowner number five (South Africa) had a wonderful round glass table in her bedroom (photo #3). What are these tables called? I have searched and searched. I so want one!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  63. louis vuitton uk are diversified in various kinds, handbags, backpacks, portable bags, purses, wallets and pouches. All kinds are popular among the whole word people.louis vuitton Store Online Handbags can also bring great accuracy as well as practical applicability and fashionable.Have you ever dreamed of being as charming as Madonna? Have you ever thought of becoming an envy of all your friends? If so, come to louis vuitton outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  64. At the coach outlet online you have the largest selection of the day. If you touch the item and like it, keep it in your possession until you make your final decision.The coach factory outlet has been in business for many years. You can log in to find more information about its products and services.You know, Coach items are so perfect and fascinating. Now I grow up, and find coach outlet on the Internet offering affordable products with reliable quality.

    ReplyDelete
  65. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.All people give the good comments for the coach factory online, and now the Coach outlet store provides many discount goods online.Coach bags enjoy high popularity throughout the world. I would like to share the coach factory outlet online with you. What are you waiting for? Just come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  66. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.It is believed that you will like the products on the coach factory online. There are spacious sizes and different colors, styles and so on.in the market you definitely can find various colorways that are designed in as well as the high quality that applied in. For most of you would like to come. So just come to our coach factory outlet online store to choose one.

    ReplyDelete