COTE DE TEXAS: INTERIOR DESIGNERS SERIES: Munger Interiors

INTERIOR DESIGNERS SERIES: Munger Interiors

 

image

 

As you can tell, I’m trying to organize different types of stories into “Series,” so from now on, when I show work of an interior designer, it will be under its own “Interior Designers Series.”   I’m going to be overhauling the blog in the near future – making it a little more user friendly, amongst other changes, hopefully for the better.

You might recall this beautiful living room shown above.  A few months ago, I presented an extensive look into the portfolio of Munger Interiors, a Houston based interior design firm, run by two sisters, Amy and Elizabeth.  This particular living room is one of my favorite interiors in their portfolio – an elegant living room updated for a young family.  The symmetry is what is particularly inviting, along with the gorgeous tufted sofa.

 

image

A number of readers commented on this breakfast room – it was widely received.   I particularly love the shades with the gray tape – and the lantern, of course!

 

 

image

This beautiful kitchen was an amazing, total renovation done by Munger.

 

 

 

image

And this beach house in Galveston, which was a total gut job, was completed in record time.  Recently, the Mungers sent me photographs of the latest house they designed and I thought you would you like see it.   Enjoy!!!

 

 

image

The traditional house is located in Memorial.  The Mungers like to create soft, quiet interiors as you can see here.  I love the patterned, textured rug that has such a creamy tone to it.  The glass tables add a contemporary look to the room.   As you can see, the house was photographed during this past Christmas.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

image

In this view, you can see the contemporary light fixture.  The gilded chairs, tables, sconces, mirror and lamps all lend a dressy touch to the room.

 

 

 

 

image

A close up of the damask curtains and pillows.  I love these matching painted, 3 legged end tables!  The pair of green and gilt lamps are the one bright pop of color in the room.

 

 

image

The large family room is located off the kitchen.  Again, the room is done in soothing tones of creams and ivories.  But here, the curtains add a burst of color in deep blue and caramel. 

 

 

image

I love the way the Mungers designed this layout with two sofas, each with their own similar, yet different, brick layer styled coffee table.  

 

 

image

Here you can see the arm chairs have a tone on tone damask pattern with a hint of blue.    Notice the pillows are also a pale light blue.    And, here you can see the wet bar behind the sofa.

 

 

image

And here is the view into the connecting kitchen and breakfast room.   Notice the antique styled chair next the fireplace, covered in the deeper shade of blue that is found in the curtains.  Munger Interiors designs remind me of Phoebe Howard’s aesthetic, both have the same love of quiet, feminine interiors with lots of creams and ivories. 

 

 

image

A closeup of the corner showing the custom banquette placed under a set of sconces.  Also – here you can see the detail of the curtain fabric.

 

 

 

image

Off the family room is the wet bar – with the homeowner’s collection of colored crystal. 

 

 

image

The kitchen is a mix of white marble countertops and black honed granite.  I love the bank of windows and the large, industrial styled refrigerator. 

 

 

image

The butler’s pantry is gorgeous – with dark brown painted cabinetry and white marble countertops. 

 

image

Notice the brass sink and faucet! I wish I had a pantry like this – what a luxury!!

 

 

image

The homeowner’s office off the back end of the house – pretty brick floors.

 

 

image

And continuing off the office with its brick floors is the laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers!  Another great luxury when the kids come home from camp or the family returns from a vacation.  Notice the clothes rods for wet or hanging clothes – the backsplash is made of white subway tiles. 

 

 

image

This bathroom, off the back area of the house with the brick floors, has walls of subway tiles along with a charming old fashioned vanity.

 

 

image

The color scheme found in the public rooms is carried into the master bedroom with its soft ivories, creams and hints of light blues. 

 

 

image

A close up of the beautiful monogrammed sheets in pale blue.  The lamps also have just a hint of blue in them. 

 

 

image

 And a glimpse into the master closet with its built in cabinetry.  It seems like closets with plain rods are so passé these days!!  

 

image

The daughters bathrooms are similar with white marble countertop and tiled marble floors.   This one has a silver Louis Philippe antique mirror mixed with sconces. 

 

 

image

While this one has a crystal chandelier!  So pretty!

 

 

image

And finally, in this bath with more white marble, the vanity has wire baskets to hold the monogrammed towels.   Again, as in another house recently shown – the bathrooms, the kitchen, and the butler’s pantry all used white marble which ties them together aesthetically.  Less decorative choice seems to show a more cohesive design scheme. 

 

I hope you have enjoyed this look at Munger Interiors latest project.   Be sure to visit their web site for more photographs HERE, and to read the original Cote de Texas story on Munger Interiors, go HERE.

 

Next week, we’ll take a look at another designer recently featured here.  She, too, has a new project she wants to share.  And to all the other designers who have been previously featured, please send in your latest photographs.  I think it’s interesting to keep up to date with all your current projects.  AND, to designers not yet shown, please consider submitting your portfolio.   Many of the houses seen here have been approached by magazine scouts looking for work to publish and hopefully, that would include yours!

56 comments :

  1. Please make sure to have all your designs included in the series. Especially all the pictures of your house. I hate crawling through all the posts trying to find a pictures of something you have done for yourself and it takes hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I definitely just pinned a few of these. I love the large home office with the brick flooring and the first den with the matching mirrors! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Joni! I especially love the kitchen with brick walls. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I pretty much like it all here! But my favourite is the family room, with its subtle blues mixed with the creams and ivories. And I particularly like the coffee tables. The drawing room lacks a bit of life, but perhaps it's just too new, and is awaiting the (Old Master!) pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would take most anything in these pictures, laundry room with double machines, pantry, what heaven! I've always wanted a dresser in our living room I simply like the look. Right now I'm trying to talk the husband into a bricklayers coffee table and get rid of our old country pine table...can you say dated? Love these interiors!

    Enjoy your Thursday!
    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it all! Do you happen to know the name of the blue fabric used in the family room? It is gorgeous! We recently remodeled and I have been looking for a fabric to use in my master bedrooms for curtains and maybe a pillow on my bed. The walls are Ben Moore palladian blue and I bought the Italian Hotel white with chocolate trim duvet and euro shams from Restoration Hardware. Most fabric that I have looked at so far has more of a creamy background compared to the stark white of the duvet. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the name of the curtain fabric, but you might try emailing Munger, they would probably share the name. There are lots of fabrics with white backgrounds. try Calico Corner's web site or Lewis and Sheron - the link is on the left side of my blog.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joni! Love your blog!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous rooms. Joni, you always put so much thought into your posts and I always enjoy them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another perfect post - and what a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bedding, so soft and pretty and what an immaculate and neat closet! Wow I am inspired:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joni, beautifully designed interiors! I love the room with the 3-leg tables topped with the emerald and gold lamps. The beach house....wonderful. Then the last home featured, so tasteful and soft!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed that the home doesn't have any artwork and limited floral or plants. Those are the things that I think warm up a room and bring in character. I like the finishes and fabrics throughout the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is not quite complete - according to the designers. I wish it wasn't photographed during Christmas though!!! Actually - the Mungers specialize in art placement and collecting, it is another division of their company. I have no doubt that gorgeous art work is in the works. I would love to see it when the art work is placed.

      Delete
  12. In a word....Ahhhh. Great interiors and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joni: Love your blog...when you revamp it could you add a list of your posts or categories or something to make it easy to find all your previous posts? Hate to miss anything and would like to be able to refer back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AHHH! I think my blood pressure has just dropped a few points! What gorgeous, soothing, comfortable interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely butler's pantry and closet. Really pretty interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything! The pictures are real keepers! Would the designers be willing to share the cabinetry paint colors?

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joni,
    I love the first image and the kitchen. The white wash brick looks amazing.
    I am sorry that I didn't send you pictures of my living room yet.I did it my husbands way and hated it and now I am redoing my way! Send you them as soon as it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds exciting - and interesting! Be sure to send them in, the story behind the redo might be very educational.

      Delete
  18. Joni, Love this post, but frankly, I'm so exited about your "blog overhaul".. what exactly does this mean? a new look? I have been trying to figure out for a while how to get all my related posts organized and have buttons in my side bar to click for a new page full of all the posts in that category.. are you doing that?? Can't wait to see the new and improved!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if there will be a whole new look, but yes, i hope to have buttons to link to different kinds of stories, archives, etc. buttons that link to social media. Just make it more interesting and easy to find things, link, and move on. And maybe a new look too. Plus I finally own www.cotedetexas.com!!! yeah! so a lot of it will be mechanical. maybe switching to word press, maybe not. Look for blogs that you like their look and see who designed it. That's an easy way to findi a designer. Or just google blog designer. hope that helps.

      Delete
  19. Love love love all the rugs. Must know where they all came from, are you able to find out and message me? Thanks so much! Ashley Nelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling they are from Stark. If you are really serious about needing to know - try emailing Munger, I'm sure they will share!!

      Delete
  20. I love those green and gilt lamps in the living room…gorgeous! And the master bedroom is so tranquil with its creams and pale blues. Great post. And I agree with the above comments about putting photos of your own house in one place. I've been stalking your house ever since I discovered your blog and would love to see its evolution under one heading. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. I love the fabrics, especially. I'd like to see more books in all those bookshelves, but that's just me - I have more books than I have space to put them. I'm afraid I'd feel like I was being sent to time out in a closet in that home office, though. If I wanted to stay in there any length of time, I'd have to have a window. At least put a pretty picture on that blank wall over the desk. I'd be much more likely to use my laptop at the kitchen table, though I'm sure that wouldn't look good in the photos! And I, too, would like to see some artwork - in the living room, particularly. Beautifully done, but not quite finished, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE the butler's pantry and laundry rooms best. I do wish they would share the color they used on the BP cabinets. I also loved the continuity of colors and materials in the bathrooms. I wasn't as wowed with the living areas -- not sure why.

    Thanks for another great post!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joni,
    This was fun. I really like the calming effect of the neutral palate. So many great rooms! I like the idea of your designer series as you always select designers I love! Thanks.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joni,
    Thank you for this feature! I have always loved their work - gorgeous. Yes, a soft, tranquil feeling akin to Phoebe Howard. Have had my eye on the leopard pillows (photo #1; living room sofa)for ages. Any idea what fabric that could be? Can't wait to see your changes - very exciting!
    Thanks!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  25. We appreciate all the kind comments! To answer a few questions...the family room drapery fabric is a Cowtan & tout; the master bedding is Leotine; and the rugs are from Stark. Best, MI

    ReplyDelete
  26. The beautiful pantry, bedroom and small home office are my favorite rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joni I love love their work. It is understated elegance at it's best!! This is the look and feel I enjoy in a home. Beautiful, beautiful. The master bedroom bedding is exactly what I need for my master bedroom, I am redoing our bed, upgraded to a Cal King so I have to get all new bedding. Just perfect thankyou for sharing. Looking forward to seeing what changes ou will be making on your blog, xo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, how I love white. These photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was interesting but the only thing I truly loved was the butler's pantry. Love it, love it. I'm painting my cabin that color inside.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I especially loved the bathrooms and laundry room - I love this type of understated luxury and it goes a long way in these often neglected rooms of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that first photograph, it's so elegant and yet very current. My question for the remainder of the series, would the designers possibly give their sources for materials, very similar to what they include for magainzes? Thanks! Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beth,

    Thank you for the kind response. The leopard fabric is Travers, sold by George Cameron Nash in Houston. It's a good one- rich, soft, with a hint of playfulness being animal print. Hope that helps.

    Best,
    Elizabeth Munger

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you to those who felt inspired in some way. We have plans to photograph this project in the coming months without the Christmas decor :-) And as Joni mentioned, this project is still a work in progress and the 2nd floor bedrooms, along with a few of the other rooms downstairs haven't even been photographed yet. We will be sure to forward on to Joni once those are available.

    All the best,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Joni - Love your blog. I live in upstate NY (Saratoga county). Since seagrass is not as popular up here as in the South, could you recommend a brand
    that I could ask dealers for? They seem to think it is not as durable as wool, etc. What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  35. Elizabeth, would you be willing to share the cabinet paint colors? They are just lovely!

    Thank you,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Joni,

    Such a beautiful post! I adore the kitchen with the brick wall.

    I agree with two comments . . . would love if more sources were included posts, as is often done in magazines. I have a particular interest in paint colors/brands and fabric sources.

    Also, as Lauren asked above, can you (or anyone else) suggest alternatives to the seagrass for those of us in the north where it is not nearly as popular? I've been hunting for carpet that looks like sisal but is softer (for my young girls.) I do have a PB sisal area rug in my dining room that I love.

    Thank you!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  37. Maybe I missed it. Was the Memorial house new contruction or a remodel? Any recommendations on the architect and/or contractor? This is just the style I want for my upcoming project. The design and execution look beautiful all around. Munger is on my short list to call. Nice job(s).

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sara,

      The Memorial home was an extensive remodel with an addition. Roger Cooner was the architect and he is fabulous! He has a real eye for detail, is so knowledgable and a pleasure to work with.

      I hope this helps!
      Best,MI

      Delete
  38. the colors in the munger house are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Another great effort on your part! Just beautiful and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice post!
    Visit my blog: http://www.orvalhoegeada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. absolute perfection in every image! thanks so much much sharing and look forward to more amazing designers!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your house!!!! I can only hope to have my house as nice as yours one day! I bought my house last year and it has all brick floors. I'm having a hard time cleaning them. How do you clean them?

    ReplyDelete
  43. oh my god,its a heaven.mind blowing images and excellent blog content writing.i don't know how the heaven will be.after seeing this blog i realized this is the heaven.awesome collection of images.thanks for sharing.our services @ Granite tiles Manufacturers, Granite Slabs Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  44. Who makes the brass sink? It is stunning! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete