COTE DE TEXAS: Million Dollar Designers–New Skirted Roundtable!

Million Dollar Designers–New Skirted Roundtable!

 

After a short break, Megan, Linda and I are back in action recording a new Skirted Roundtable.  This week we talk about the newest Bravo reality series – Million Dollar Decorators.  Gah!  My latest obsession!!  If you aren’t watching this show, do!!!!!!!!!!!!   If you read this blog, you are obviously into design, and this show was made for you!!  

 

 image

What I love most about the show is who they picked to star in it.   Instead of going with big name designers with bad taste (fill in your own favorite big name designer whose taste you hate!) – they picked five designers with fabulous taste.   Four of the five are personal favorites:  Mary McDonald, Kathryn Ireland, Nathan Turner, and Martyn Lawrence Bullard.  The fifth designer I am not as familiar with, Jeffrey Alan Marks.   Apparently he does a lot of restaurant design which would explain why he may not be as well known.  But, his style fits right in with the other four.  Some of the designers seem to be best friends:  Mary and Nathan,  Martyn and Kathryn and Jeffrey and Kathryn.   Another designer I feel who would have been great with this group is Peter Dunham, and he does make a cameo appearance on the first episode.   As usual, there’s a lot of creative editing involved:   in one scene, Kathryn hosts a party for her birthday and makes her 3 teenage sons do the cooking.   One of the sons sneezes and snorts over the dishes and the next edit shows the guests eating the guacamole.  Yuck!!!   Another scene we thought was creative editing is when a client tells Mary McDonald she is getting a divorce and Mary goes ballistic – “You can’t sell MY house!”   Linda, Megan and I all agreed they probably cut out the part where Mary was at first sympathetic to her client/friend before she lamented the sale of this “perfect house.” 

 

image

Best friends stick together:  Nathan and Mary, Jeffrey (with quite a hair style!) and Kathryn and Martin!  Their friendly camaraderie makes the show that much better.

 

Oh, the show is just a hoot!   Kathryn’s housekeeper, the French “Jack-leen” is going to be the show’s sleeper star!   With her scarves and glasses and her eyes staring off into space, she is hysterical.   Plus, all the scenes of Kathryn’s house are priceless!   No matter how many pictures you’ve seen of her house – it looked so different and so charming in the show.   Another sleeper star is going to be Jeffrey Marks’ partner, the gorgeous (did I stress gorgeous enough?)  surfer model turned designer Ross Cassidy – and what a diva he is.   The show seems to be portraying them as constantly bickering, Ross doesn’t respect Marks – probably all just more creative editing.  Nathan is the nice guy.  He comes across as the one you would most want to have as your best friend, but Mary McDonald has already claimed that role.   Mary’s two assistants add even more wackiness.    Neither assistant listens to a word Mary says and both go behind her back at every chance – the male assistant is a riot.    For pure name dropping snobbiness -  no one fits that bill like Martyn Lawrence Bullard!  His voice is so effected, he sounds so pompous!!!  But, I absolutely adore his style, even though the apartment he did on the first show for Sharon Osborne looked like a Z Gallerie showroom.  Ouch!!  What a disappointment.   Here’s a recap of the five stars:

 

image

Mary McDonald:   This house she designed was published in Veranda in the October, 2010 issue.   It’s typical of her style, though the red is rather a rare choice for her.  Her color schemes are usually lighter.

 

image

Martyn Lawrence Bullard:   featured recently in Architectural Digest, this style is not his usual.  He typically uses more global design with ethic touches, though he can do any style.  This house is the home of rock legend Ozzy Osbourne.  Those barn doors are to die for!!!!!

 

image

Kathryn Ireland:   much of her house was shown in the first episode.  Her living room is typical of her designs – a riot of patterns and colors and English sensibility.

 

image

Nathan Turner:  he designed this room for a Veranda showhouse last year.   His style reflects the ethnic prints and accessories he sells in his popular store.  I love the striped curtains and how he painted the ceiling to match them! 

 

image

Jeffrey Alan Marks:   this is his own home, a typical California look.   I wasn’t that familiar with his style before the show, but the house he did which was featured on Episode 2 was wonderful.   This room – decorated to remind him of his childhood on lakes – is a little too whimsical for me.  Not sure I would ever hang a boat from a ceiling.  Wait, I’m SURE I would never hang a boat from a ceiling.

 

image

Spreading rumors?    While googling for this story, several pictures of Jeffrey Ross’s gorgeous assistant Ross Cassidy on the arm of Martyn Bullard showed up from a few years ago!!  Leaves me to wonder did Ross and Martyn ever date before Jeffrey and Ross were a couple?  Anyone know???? 

 

image

Episode 1:  sneak peek into Kathryn’s house – here is her famous living room with the collection of prints above the archway.  Mary McDonald, dressed to the nines – always! – came with her bf Nathan Turner. 

 

There’s a great web site on Bravo, HERE, with lots of pictures and blogs by each of the designers!  Great reading.  Oh, this series is just SOOOO much fun!!!   I’m crazy about it.   So, be sure to tune in the show Million Dollar Decorators on Tuesday evening – 9:00 pm Central Standard Time.    They repeat it at 10:00 pm CST.    And, if you have twitter, the three of us, Megan, Linda and myself do real time analysis starting at 9:00 pm CST sharp.  The hashtag is:  #mddbravotv OR #milliondollardecorators – be sure to twitter with us, it gives the show an extra dimension to share it with other viewers across the country.  Some of the comments on twitter are priceless…wish the five stars would twitter along too!

 

image

To listen to our discussion on The Skirted Roundtable, go HERE.   Be careful though – there are two links!!!  The first green bar is for the skirted roundtable.  The second green bar is for a short talk by Kathryn Ireland that we recorded when she was on the skirted roundtable a few months ago.   At that time, she wasn’t allowed to discuss the show so we held that part from the recording.  You can hear what Ireland said about Million Dollar Decorators by listening to the second green bar!  Remember – the first green bar is for the entire Skirted roundtable discussion!  Got that???

 

As usual – thank you so much for your continued support for the Skirted Roundtable!  It is very, very much appreciated.                  

 

 

 

59 comments :

  1. You know Joni, after years of too many channels, a few years back we switched to peasant cable (basic!), but I am calling tomorrow to sign up for more channels as I need to see this show!

    Can't wait to listen...and watch. xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the show! My favorite line was Kathryn Ireland's "Food, sex and decorating."

    ReplyDelete
  3. *** "Joni, Joni, Joni"... You KNOW I faithfully read you, & am NEVER disappointed... Annnnd, altho I'm not much of a coffee drinker, when you post something new, I DO make a cup & take it to the new study, just so I can really take my time to enjoy your blog (OK, maybe I do sneak ina coooookie with that!).....

    HOWEVER, I don't know "what you were smokin'", Sweetie, buuuuut, I must say I couldn't DISagree more with your take on this "show"... I truly wish "they" had stayed AWAY from the cameras, and IN the design books/mags, because BEFORE watching this, I had a MUUUUCH higher opinion of EACH of them...Period...'nuff said...

    (And BTW: I DO believe in "different strokes for different folks"!)...

    Catch ya later, girlfriend!
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure about the show at first but since I have watched a couple episodes I may be hooked. Probably just because of Ross though! I like Nathan alot and Kathryn, Martyn is OK but I am not fond of Mary. I kind of get the impression that she just bosses people around and doesn't do much (probably all the editing) of anything but her rooms look good so I might try that tactic. :) I really love Kathryn's fabrics also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun Joni I am really loving this show!! mainly because it is causing a lot of opinions and generating an excitement for interior design,

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    I have an amazing Giveaway from the Artisans at Novica. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this show Joni! I can't believe you got to talk to them on the SRT! I'm heading over now to listen! :)

    BTW: Did you get my many emails?

    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this show. I listened to your roundtable and enjoyed it very much. Can't wait for tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't seen the show... will look forward to listening to your roundtable discussion tomorrow... and maybe I'll be inspired to start watching!
    I've sent you an email!!

    Best,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I decided the only way to watch this show is in very small dosages if at all. The personalities come across as over indulgent, pompous and pretensious. But that's typical in Bravo's programming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love this show. Kathryn is my favorite and has been for years. The rest are just a bit over the top and that's why I love to watch them. They fit the "stereotypical designer" that totally takes over, to a "T". Unfortunaltely I think I am watching more for a train wreck then for good design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @windlost , you can buy these episodes from iTunes or Amazon On Demand. The price on iTunes is $9 for the whole season. Amazon is about the same I'm sure. Looks like the first episode is free! Which I will be watching based on this review from Joni.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I'm missing on this!!! I need to watch it!


    Thank you for this post. It was really fun to read it.

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been happily sucked into this show! I love watching all the decorators make silly self absorbed comments. The one I think is most grounded(if that is possible) is Kathyrn. I thought I would be Mary's biggest fan but she has revealed herself to be quite shallow and ugly, albeit with great style. Is it really editing that Mary is like that? I think not!! Not a fan of surfer boy toy, or Jeffrey either. Love Martyn, he is hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't watched the show and am hesitant to do so. Based on my past experiences of Bravo programming and some of the comments made here, I'm not sure I want to. I watched Housewives of NYC, Bethenny, Kardashians (I hope that's all....yikes....how embarrassing!) In the end, all of these shows and their over-the-top personalities proved to aggravate me. Now I only watch American Pickers on History! And even those guys are getting on my nerves the way they are so aggressive when talking to the audience (i.e. "the minute I saw it, I KNEW I had to have it" attitude). But I digress. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joni you are so correct this show is amazing....I can't get enough of it and cant decide who and who's designs I love more.......I think it is too bad when the personalities are taken so seriously....it is tv and they understand that if they don't get ratings....they are gone...I still love their designs regardless of their quirky craziness....( I hope my friends say the same about me!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this show times a million! I love how they all are very different from each other but very successful at their work. And so fresh not having all the fights between cast members that so many reality shows have. Can't wait for the next episode!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree that the designers are fabulously talented! It is quite dramatic, but I love to watch their works in progress.
    Have a great day ladies.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joni, I was very excited about this new show and eagerly awaited the premier. Boy was I disappointed. If I wanted to watch a group of whining, self indulgent divas I could tune in to The Housewives Of New Jersey! I don't get out of bed for less than a million dollars...really? Joni, I love you and your blog and I respect your opinion but this show is just too over the top for me.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to figure out when it's on here! Thanks for the recap, it certainly does sound like 'the housewives' show.
    x
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  20. This show is a delicious guilty pleasure. For hilarious recaps, check out some other design blogs. BTW, my very British hubby pronounced Martyn's accent the most affected EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK Joni,I must say as a designer I watched it, and the show makes me very nervous,self indulgent divas...I am sure the way it is edited, but then that's Bravo. The most favorite of all-Kathryn's housekeeper "Jack-leen". xxpeggybraswelldesign.com
    PS feathers on his head-that's hysterical, champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry Joni but I have to disagree with you as well. I also eagerly awaited to watch this show and I too was disappointed. I still love your blog though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just came back from two months in Italy and I had no clue about this show. Thanks Joni, I'll try to find out schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joni, I have not watched yet, but based on your post I must! Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi there. i just found your blog and love it. i live in the south of france with my family of 5 but my roots are deep in the houston area. great blog.
    aidan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds intriguing. Setting up the PVR so as not to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I've been watching. It is crazy! I know a lot of it is for TV, but they all seem so loopy. I'm not sure how they get anything done! I wish they showed more of the designs :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't watch TV {except for movies}, but now you've got me thinking I should tune in and get addicted! ;)

    By the way, I can't stop thinking about your Coveritis post. Still trying to determine what exactly I am! I loved your take on things!

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't seen this show yet, but I'm really curious now! I've been saying for years that the design industry needs a reality TV show that focuses on what goes into high end interior design projects. Shows like Designer's Challenge give the false impression that you can get three designers to come up with a complete design for your space -- for free! -- and then only hire the designer you like best, or even hire none of them and just steal all of their ideas. Shows like Design on a Dime make it seem as though high end design clients are fools who are throwing away money on something they could get for a lot less. They talk about a project costing less than a thousand dollars, but don't factor in the labor of drapery and upholstery workrooms, or the amount of time a designer would have to spend scrounging flea markets and consignment shops to come up with that $20 lamp or whatever. I hope this show isn't just about drama and voyeurism, but actually shows viewers the amount of work involved in putting together a spectacular high end design project. Thanks for cluing me in about the show!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the show and I watched all the episodes so far. But ya know, I just wish it was a bit more about HOW they design and show more of their working days, not all the drama. But then again, I guess it wouldn't be a reality show without the craziness.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can't wait to check out the show. It sounds really fun! Thanks for sharing I'll let you know what I think of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have to agree with some of the others. I cannot remember when I have been more nauseated. The classic "Reality Show editing" combined with these pompous loons is more than my medicine cabinet is armed to handle! One episode was enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Our whole family is totally hooked!

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  34. Joni,
    You are right on. Kathy Ireland's housekeeper Jacquelyn appeared and I was hooked. Pretty great. I'll enjoy it even more knowing you are watching. Ireland (I'm a trajic mother!) is a stitch herself. Did you notice the actress Tracey Ullman mingling at Ireland's party? How funny they must be togethor.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  35. These people are all nuts and ego-maniacal to one degree or another. I watched because I thought the decorating would be great. (It's not.) I stayed because of the insanity of these people. I couldn't stop wathing the lunacy of the whole thing. With a budget like that,or even a lot less, I could decorate a house beautifully without the 'tude.
    But those clients probably like that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Z Gallerie to the Nth degree but that's where we diverge Joni. I too, like many others are turned off by the lack of design & overdose of drama, diva, toddler tantrum behavior that highlights the show. After tonights episode highlighted Martyns work from 5 YEARS AGO...I'm done.
    Different strokes...
    Haava wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just recently started hearing about this show, so I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ugh, really? I watched. Once. And was completely turned off. Its amazing how we now condone lack of class and manners. Won't be tuning in to watch a bunch of self-important designers who think they are curing cancer. I would much rather they had done a show about nice and lovely people who work hard and provide a wonderful service to their clients, than divas without talent. Because lets be honest, all things weighing in, being able to design a nice or beautiful or breathtaking room is really not that important. The reason? Doesn't seem to me that any of these characters could ever create a HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I watched the episode last night and surprisingly enjoyed it. I don't think anyone should approach the show expecting to learn any designer secrets or what these designers' thought processes are in achieving their signature looks. It is a high drama show, and as long as I watch it with that in mind, rather than the opportunity to learn the tricks of the trade, I'll not be disappointed. If the goal is to achieve a more designer look for my home, I'll probably get more from books and blogs. Thank you Joni for the heads up on the show. It's not one I would've watched otherwise. Bravo should give you a cut!

    ReplyDelete
  40. We enjoyed the discussion on the SRT. Haven't been able to watch the show yet and can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am insane over this show.

    I watch the first broadcast of the show and then the rerun right after, with a glass of wine.

    LOVED the lunch where Martin said to Kathy, "Darling if you stopped drinking white wine the entire economy of France would collapse."

    And then there's Jacqueline, the maid with the turban and sunglasses. I simply adore her. The breakout star of the show IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  42. These designers are not what I was expecting at all (I'm not in the design business)--it's utterly fascinating. To me, they seem to not take themselves seriously at all, and just totally embrace the joy of all of life's oddities. Not to beat a dead horse, but witness the fact that K.Ireland employs this amazing creature Jaq-leen. Also witness the fabulous Mary's hysterical back and forth with her project manager, Nancy. A woman who can take an employee's complete intransigence so in stride, remain completely unthreatened, on the contrary, totally see the humor in it, is never, ever, ever going to throw a table (and there seem to be plenty of priceless tables available on this show to throw). The list goes on and on. And all the loveliness of the interiors is just such a delicious visual treat every week. For me, what a breath of fresh air. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What we all need to realize is reality TV is not real. All the drama is staged, all the characters are picked, and all the clients are chosen for the show. Nothing is real, including the budgets. This is television and it's their to entertain you. These designers, all are brilliant at what they do, are casted in a role.
    The bitch, the arrogant one, the humble one, the dumb one, and the fake. So, just grab a cocktail and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  44. well, the 3rd show was sooo much better than the first 2. More real design and not so much personal drama.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The boat upside-down on the ceiling is just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen; and I've seen it before so not only is it ridiculous, it's already been done. It's like the emperor with no clothes on and everyone is afraid to tell him.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fascinating !!! i am surprised to see all of your pictured it's quite amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ditto what Judy KB said. The designers are having fun with the show, with each other and with their clients. I think they are the first ones to agree that design is not brain surgery. In fact I think Martin said this very thing on the last episode. A feast for my eyes and my funny bone!! (And I just want to give Nathan a huge hug!)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this show too. I've always loved Mary McDonald and love getting to see her with clients and her staff and her dogs. She is fabulous. None of these designers would make it in LA without huge egos and personalities, and I thoroughly enjoy watching their projects, staged for television or not. And yes, Ross is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think it's great. I'm glad they all seem to like each other and hope it doesn't go the way some of the other Bravo shows go with snarky comments made to the camera behind each other's backs. I often think during the day, this job would make a great reality show, and they're right!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Work is to die for. But the designers and (worse!) the clients.. ummmm... not so much. Good lord. I had to watch it with 'mute' on. Ha! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I don't think I see one single male designer on this blog. Well here I am. The show is fun, nice to see some actual design work being put forth on television rather then HDTV, " I just hurled in my mouth a bit." Oh and leave the South African Model boyfriend beauty alone. He is just fine with Jeffrey. Jeffrey came up fast in the interior world and I have always enjoyed his work. Don't forget to read who is in your Shelter magazines then just flipping threw it.
    Christopher Martin Design

    ReplyDelete
  52. I watched all the episodes and the only thing that bothered me was Martyn Lawrence Bullard. Martyn's voice, name dropping, and overall style made me gag! His designs for Sharon Osbourne and Daisy Fuentes were tasteless,tacky,and mediocre. I was familiar with Mary, and she grew on me as the show progressed. As for Kathryn, her tardiness to client meetings was bothersome, but overall she seemed nice. I wish we got to see more of Nathan's designs and Mark could be rather funny.

    ReplyDelete
  53. louis vuitton uk are diversified in various kinds, handbags, backpacks, portable bags, purses, wallets and pouches. All kinds are popular among the whole word people.louis vuitton Store Online Handbags can also bring great accuracy as well as practical applicability and fashionable.Have you ever dreamed of being as charming as Madonna? Have you ever thought of becoming an envy of all your friends? If so, come to louis vuitton outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  54. At the coach outlet online you have the largest selection of the day. If you touch the item and like it, keep it in your possession until you make your final decision.The coach factory outlet has been in business for many years. You can log in to find more information about its products and services.You know, Coach items are so perfect and fascinating. Now I grow up, and find coach outlet on the Internet offering affordable products with reliable quality.

    ReplyDelete
  55. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.All people give the good comments for the coach factory online, and now the Coach outlet store provides many discount goods online.Coach bags enjoy high popularity throughout the world. I would like to share the coach factory outlet online with you. What are you waiting for? Just come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  56. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.It is believed that you will like the products on the coach factory online. There are spacious sizes and different colors, styles and so on.in the market you definitely can find various colorways that are designed in as well as the high quality that applied in. For most of you would like to come. So just come to our coach factory outlet online store to choose one.

    ReplyDelete
  57. That show doesn't look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete