COTE DE TEXAS: SAG AWARDS BEST AND WORST DRESSED

SAG AWARDS BEST AND WORST DRESSED

 

 

 

Tonight was the SAG Awards and of course the clothes can’t, and aren’t supposed to, compete with the Oscars, but still…it was a poor night overall for fashion.  I sincerely hope this is not a preview of what is to come during this awards season.

Getty Images is so generous in allowing us to use their photos which link directly to their site, but that’s why there’s all the extra verbiage “Embed from Getty Images” everywhere!!    Once would suffice but beggars can’t be choosey.

 

And sooooo without further adieu, let’s get on with the shooooow: 

CURLY, BILLOWING FABRIC TREND:

 

Jean Smart in Christian Siriano.

This look was a trend tonight, lots of curly, billowy extra fabric.  Jean’s dress would have been wonderful if not for that huge collar around the back of her neck.  And sorry, but I just don’t like anything Siriano designs.  I don’t understand his popularity at all.

 

 

Rosario Dawson in Oscar de la Renta.  Another curly billowy neckline.

Her hair was terrible too.  BUT just look at the bustline.  It could double as an adult crumb catcher!!

 

 

 

Here you go, Rosario.  Plus it’s a lot cheaper on Amazon!!

 

 

Selena Gomez in Oscar de la Renta.   Her curly billowy sleeves were HUGE.  They could double as floaters in a pool.

I mean, seriously…what ARE those sleeves?

Another cheaper choice from Amazon.

 

THE OUT OF STYLE TREND:

Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Row.

Maggie looked pretty enough, just boring.  Haven’t we seen this dress style a million times before?

 

 

 

Kirsten Dunst in Erdem 

This kills me because Kirsten looks perfect with her red lipstick and blonde hair – red is a perfect color for her.  But again, the dress looks tired and old fashioned.

 

 

OUT OF STYLE PANTSUITS:
Jessica Chastain in Dior

What’s with pantsuits from the 1990s?????  Or even the 1980s?????   They might be back in style but if you wore it before, you’re too old to wear it again.

 

 

 
I get it –maybe they were in costume from their movie, Romy & Michele’s High School Reunion, but what was Jessica Chastain’s excuse?
 

 

Jennifer Landon wore this pant suit and she looked like 2022.  She looks great.  Pantsuits don’t have to be stuck in the 90s.

 

MEN LOOKS:
Luke Grimes.   Just because!  God, he’s adorable!!!  I love the tight tux with white shirt and bow tie.

 

And another just because.  Bradley Cooper.  Looking good and traditional.

 

 

Jared Leto in Gucci.  The worst of the worst.  And the gloves!!!!!   Why?  You might think you look like Harry Styles, but you don’t!

 

COUPLES:
 
Will Smith and Jada Pinkett in VINTAGE Gareth Pugh.
Her vintage dress would have been better left in the dumpster.  She is so adorable, but the dress is beyond terrible.  Will saved the day.

 

The new Faith Hill’s dress looked good.  Handsome couple.  I just miss her old face.

 

Sophie Hunter in Dior and Benjamin Cumberbatch in a traditional tux.  She looks gorgeous – another wining couple.

 

 

 

Oscar Isaac in Prada with his wife.  I can’t believe I like this look, but I do.  I adore him and he just looks cute next to his wife in pink.

 

Another winner!  Jamie Dornan and Amelia Warner.  They looked fabulous!

 

MISSES:

Helen Mirren in Dolce and Gabbana.  Oh this is terrible on every level.  Just awful.

 

The headband is really awful. 

From the Sag Awards a few years ago – her hair is so pretty like this or when she wears it straight.  She looks so wonderful here – why the headband??

 

Reese Witherspoon in Schiaparelli

I like the bodice and I like the blue accent color, but the dress is too short or too long – take your pick.  It’s just b-a-d.  She really needs a new stylist.  She always misses at awards shows but she’s such a cute girl.

 

 

Jihae brought along an appendage in case her left arm got cold.  Terrible!

 

Venus Williams in Dolce and Gabbana.   This is frightful.  D&G had several losers tonight.  I think their days of good designs are over.  This is atrocious.

Hailee Steinfeld in Mui Mui

What’s sad is that Hailee looks beautiful in every way except for that cut out bodice!   This could have been a winner if the bodice was left alone.

 

Selma Hayek in Gucci

I say this every award show – if I had her money I would look like a million dollars.  She never ever gets it right.  NEVER!!  This color is wrong for her and so is the shiny fabric.

Julianna Marguiles in VINTAGE Narciso Rodriguez

Another vintage frock that should have been left to die.  So skimpy.  So unattractive in every aspect. 

Sandra Oh in – wait for it.  I almost died when I saw who designed this catastrophe

Carolina Herrera. 

That metallic silver material is like a space suit!  And the green purse??  Why??

Houston, we have a problem….

THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT:

Caitriona Balfe in Saint Laurent.  Caitriona is the star of Outlander and was nominated for her role in Belfast.  I think she is one of the most underrated and unknown actors out there – she’s incredibly talented.  Tall and beautiful, she’s a former couture model, but she’s desperately in need of a new stylist.  This dress is so unflattering.  It needs major tailoring.  It’s just awful on her and probably everyone.  Caitriona should look smashing but instead she is just a shapeless mess.  Even the necklace is all wrong.

 

 

ALMOST WINNERS:

 

Alexandra Daddario in Versace.  The dress didn’t fit her well but she is so beautiful, you don’t even notice her dress.

What a stunner.

 

Naomi Watts in Fendi.  So chic.  I just don’t think that skinny snake-like scarf looks good, but this is almost a best dressed. 

 

 

Vanessa Hudgens in Versace

Wow!  She’s all grown up and so pretty!  Almost a best dressed, but doesn’t the dress seem dated?

 

WINNERS:

Jennifer Hudson in Vera Wang

Love, love, love this on her!  She looks beautiful!!

 

 

 

Kerry Washington in Celia Kritharioti

Beautiful!

 

 

Karen Pittman in Greta Constatine

Love the color of the dress with the color of her hair.  She looks so pretty!

 

 

 

Fran Drescher in Reem Acra

She looked pretty, the dress looked great on her and the jewels in her hair were a prefect accessory.

 

Nicole Kidman Saint Laurent

She would have been my best of the night if only her hair was pulled back.  This dress is stunning on her.

Elle Fanning in Gucci

I have NEVER seen her look this good!!!   I love this outfit!  Now, this is a modern way to wear pants instead of a pantsuit.  Fabulous.

 

Cate Blanchett in Giorgio Armani

As usual, she takes the prize.  My only complaint is that crumb catcher at her waist.  But even that detail isn’t enough to take away from how wonderful she looks.   Even the open bodice looks chic instead of awkward.

 

Another view.

 

THE BEST:

Despite her tattoos ruining the look, Lady Gaga was a standout in Armani - not Gucci - which was a surprise.  Her necklace was incredible.  The dress was stunning and fit her like a glove.  No one, no one came close to competing – not even Cate Blanchett.

 

 

A GIRL CAN DREAM, CAN’T SHE?

If only!!!

By the way.   A Star Is Born has a new extended version out with over 12 minutes added.  It seemed like more to me.

I love that movie and it gets better with each viewing.  It’s so well made, so well acted, with such wonderful music.

If you haven’t seen the extended version, check it out!!

Are you SURE they aren’t really a couple?!?!?!?!?!?

33 comments :

  1. Wonderful review Joni! All your comments were spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BENEDICT Cumberbatch not Benjamin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always make this same mistake. :)

      Delete
    2. omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! darn it.

      Delete
  3. I don't watch award shows much anymore. But I do like your commentary Joni :-). If you hadn't said who Faith Hill was, I would have never known who she was. What the heck did she do to her face - geez!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady Gaga is a friend of one of my best friends. They are definitely not a couple. Just colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey - a girl can dream, can't she???? lol. I know they aren't but they should be!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Joni - thank you for your post, they're all a treat and this one was especially funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole Kidman always gets it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. knocked it out of the park Joni, you hit it correct on every analysis by me....some of the most horrid looks too...what are they thinking I say to myself? money does not buy you taste nor class nor manners nor kindness.....hollyweird....right on Joni ~ greets again from FL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful as always. Spot on. I was just out all day looking for dresses and I made a comment to one of the salesgirls that what make designers think that grown woman want to dress in Easter Egg colors? Pastels. yuck. Eveything was pale pastel and looked like you were ready to go milk a cow. Big puffy ruffly everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couldn't agree more with your commentary on Christian Siriano.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the way you used the sarcasm in your post. You must have good sense of humor in your real life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You made me look at the fashions differently and I agree! When you see all the runway clothes, I just don't understand how they pick such ugly fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree with you on all comments and even some of the winning looks were underwhelming to me. All the filled faces is such a shame, especially on the younger ones such as Selena. I truly hope the natural, aging look comes back en vogue. Enough with the duck lips, shiny flat foreheads, spider lashes.I always love Cate Blanchett but even her too deep cut dress would look more elegant if it was 6 inches more modest. I could dress anyone better than what was shown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The SAGS are SAD. Thanx for saving me not having to watch. Next time...franki

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is "Salma" Hayek, not "Selma" Hayek. I think she is a gorgeous woman who usually looks great. I do not like her gloves; they ruined her look. I also think Nicole Kidman looks great. Loved her long pretty hair. She has naturally curly red hair and porcelain skin. Why anyone would ditch that in favor of the stick straight, bleached out planks of hair she usually wears escapes me. I agree with the rest of it. Thanks for this blog. It was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Picture! I have seen your post carefully and enjoy it. All picture was awesome. Hope that you will share such an effective post regularly, Thanks.
    Image Background Removal Service

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mobikin Assistant For Android Crack I really like your post because this post is very helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr Khashan is an aggressive litigation attorney and provides the firm’s clients with advocacy and justice. With MILLIONS of dollars of verdicts and settlements, rest assured your case will be handled with the expertise and knowledge it takes to obtain the best possible results for your matter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You write like a 68-year-old suburban lady who buys her clothes at Macy's. That's fine, but it limits the credibility of your comments and reveals that you have no education in the history of fashion. You remind me of that nice elderly Midwest lady who reviews the new Applebee's for her senior newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a mean and unwarranted comment. I wish Joni had time to screen comments. My day would have been far better without reading yours.

      Delete
  19. Thank Your Your Information You can Help me Alot And My New website are Avaibale on Google please visit Our website aafnoidea Techyatra Mutebooks www-crypto aafnonews lofiworld aafnomo3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree -- Helen Mirren looked ghastly in that outfit! What was she thinking???

    Loved the post - agree with you 100%!!

    ReplyDelete