COTE DE TEXAS: OSCARS 2023

OSCARS 2023

I have to say that this year’s Oscar was the best in a long, long time. Except of course last year when it was so terrible, it was dope.  (Did I use that word correctly?)  How could anyone top the slap heard round the world?  Well, Jimmy Kimmel could, of course  He did a great job – funny, ironic, even a bit respectful.  It was the acceptance speeches that were a two-breaster as my late mother and aunt would say when something was so overly emotional, you had to grab your chest with both hands.  (I suppose that was the meaning?)  Almost every winner had me in tears!  From the first on.  Towards the end, I was a little tired of one movie winning everything especially when I hate that movie!!!

I thought I would never stop sobbing at the winning documentary about Navalny, the Soviet opposition leader who was poisoned and languishes in solitary confinement in a Russian gulag.  Ben finally wandered in and asked “are you still crying?” 

By the way, did anyone miss Will Smith?  As the last winner of the Best Actor award, normally he would be there presenting that award to the next winner of it.  Thankfully, he was asked to stay home.

But in the end,  the fashion was unparalleled tonight!   I had trouble finding just one or two best dressed, the list overflowed.   I had heard the red carpet would be beige and I thought they meant the dress theme would be bland, but they meant the carpet itself was beige.  And, so were the dresses.  It was a sea of beige or champagne and silverish sequins.  But, in my opinion, the most outstanding Oscar dresses were the hugely overexaggerated ones.

And so without further ado, the Oscars by Cote de Texas (because she really knows fashion.  Her favorite designer is Hanes, known for his sweat pants, hoodies and underwear  (available only at Amazon.)

BEST & WORST OF CHAMPANGE AND SEQUINS:

I’ve never seen such a large collection of champagne & sequined dresses.  Many looked like liquid gold shimmering down over beautiful bodies.

I absolutely loved Jamie Lee Curtis’ look.  Dolce and Gabbana.  She wins one of the best champagne dresses look.  She was perfect.

Lauren Ridloff looked wonderful in her champagne.

Andrea Riseborough, nominee. I absolutely love this dress, but it’s not a good color on her at all. 

Rooney Mara.  I love her style  I wonder – did she decide not to hem the dress?  Either way – I love the hemline and the dress but she does look a tad washed out.  She has absolutely the most resting bitch face of anyone.  You never see her crack a smile!!

Alexander McQueen on the runway.  The hem is higher, differently styled as are the shoulders.  I do like the runway hair and jewelry more than Mara’s though.

Ana de Armas in Louis Vuitton.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Stunning.  The best champagne dress by far.    Later Louis Vuitton will win a worst dress award for the night.  (Hint…Mark Sikes totally disagreed with me.  So, I must be wrong!!)

Another view.    I would have added diamonds around the neck.

Not quite champagne but silvery sequins.  Kate Hudson shined but the sleeves took away from the look – or so I thought!

After she removed the cape, the dress seemed more ordinary, more Kate’s usual sleeveless style.  So, I take back my earlier opinion that the sleeves were too much.  They actually made the dress.

 

Jessica Chastain in Gucci.  It could have been better but the black train absolutely ruins the dress and no,  I will not change my opinion.  

What IS that train????  And what a shame because Jessica looks gorgeous – her hair  and her makeup never looked better.  Flawless.  Her red lips are by Charlotte Tilbury.  That train???!!!!

Zoe Saldana.  I always think she is Zoe Kravitz but they look nothing alike! 

This dress looked even worse on screen.  Like a nightgown.  She looked gorgeous, though.

Eva Longoria.  The worst, champagne dress.  The proportions were all wrong.  The dress made her body look weird, but she has a beautiful body.  Terrible silhouette.  Too busy.  And I didn’t like her hair either.  Just b.a.d.

Ariana DeBose in Atelier Versace.  Not sure why exactly, but I really didn’t like this one either.  Again, it was just too busy.

WHITE DRESSES:

Sofia Carson looked gorgeous in white.  I might have named her one of the best dressed but I think the bodice was too long and ruined the lines of the dress.  But that is really nit picking because she really looked pretty!

They can’t be real, can they?  Stunning!


Another white dress, Mindy Kaling.  More about this dress later.

BLACK HAIR:

There has been a move away from braids for women of color.  The new hair designs have been very sculptural and very different – very interesting.  Tonight I saw two prominent actresses wearing this new look.  I predict next year, there will be even more.

Halle Bailey in Dolce Gabbana.  Her dress is darling, just like she is.

But it was her hair that was the stunner.  It was braided into a large bun.  Just gorgeous, as was her jewelry.  And what a voice!

Danai Gurira’s hair was unparalleled.  Hard to figure out how it was styled, but this is an example of the more sculptural hair styles being shown.  Besides her hair – her dress is so pretty, sophisticated.

 

Danai Gurira – I did feel sorry for the people sitting behind her because she probably blocked their view a bit.

HIGH 40’s STYLE PLATFORM SHOES:

Ruth E. Carter – she won an Oscar for Costume design.  She wore the high platform pink shoes to match her pink lining.

 

Mary Zophres.  Not a fan of the dress, but there are those shoes again.

Two more!

BEST LOOKING COUPLE:

David Byrne and friend.  I don’t even know her name (neither did the web sites) but they look so amazing.  So hip, so international, so chic.  He has really aged well.

 

WORST DRESSED MEN:

Harvey Guillen in Christian Siriano.   Of course!  Siriano.  He needs to be barred from the red carpet.  The worst designer out there.  He was on E TV bragging about his designs tonight.   This was an long overcoat – with a pair of pants.

 

Ludwig Goransson – I might have liked this without the pigtails.  Together, it was just way too silly.

 

BEST DRESSED MEN:

There were so many great looking men!!!  I tried to find some that went over the line and really stood out.

Harry Shum Jr.   Wow.  A deconstructed Picasso styled tux.

 

Seth Rogan – cute couple.  Kimmel was so funny talking about Seth tonight.

But wow!  When did Seth get so…handsome?  And stylish?  I love his tux!

Jonathan Majors was another standout.  It was a modern version of something Abe Lincoln might have worn.  I love the long coat, the tie, the short pants, the shoes. 

 

Paul Mescal in Gucci.  He really has been a sight on the runway this season.  Love his rose with the ivory coat and white shirt.  Wide pants.

 

 

Paul Dano was another standout.  Too bad he is not really attractive though.  LOL.  But, he is a wonderful actor.

 

Brian Tyree Henry.  This really caught my eye in the audience when the camera showed Brian on the screen.  Love the watch chain.  That’s another accessory men should bring back.

 

Ram Charan.  OMG.  OMG.  Does he not look gorgeous????!!!!

 

Austin Butler in Saint Laurent.  Austin just stole the show.  Sad that Elvis did not win anything.  I loved his performance.  

 

THE WORST:

Marlee Matlin.  The feathers were overwhelming.  She looked like Queen Victoria in a mourning dress.  BUT, her hair, her face, her makeup looked so cute – why did her stylist let her wear this monstrosity. 

Elizabeth Olsen in Givenchy.  Hate the sheer overlay at the feet and train.  Too long.  She should have cut the dress off at the sheer fabric.

Jennifer Connelly.  Vuitton.  I think this is horrid. That breastplate looks terrible.  PLUS there is a smaller one on the back!  I just think it would be beautiful without that breastplate or if the diamonds were just a line at the breast line.

Her make up and hair were just too severe with this dress.  It was almost as if she was wearing armor.

Molly Sims in Georges Chakra Couture.  Who is Georges Chakra?  Those feathers.  Feathers are so last year.  Terrible stylist.

Sigourney Weaver in Givenchy.  Ben shouted out to me – “Wow.  She looks great!”  The dress is poorly fitted.  It looks like it cost $100 and she bought it at Penneys.  Just not up to Oscar standards. 

Elizabeth Banks.  What is this fiasco?  She actually tripped over the long hem and train.  And at the After Party, it looked like she was wearing the same dress but without the white. 

After party.  Ok I see now.  She just took off the white skirt and added a black one. 

Girl needs a new stylist.  ASAP.

Jessie Buckley.  It doesn’t get much worse than this.

I spoke too soon.  Melissa McCarthy in another Siriano.  He was bragging about this one on E all night.  She’s so adorable looking – why would he put her in this?

Michelle Yeoh in Dior Haute Couture.  More feathers.  Best Actress.  Everyone knew she would win – again, this is not Oscar worthy.

 

 

Sandra Oh.   No words.

Honestly, do you think she looked in the mirror and said – I love this!  I love this color on me!  This is gorgeous!

I hate to even admit this – but this is one of my favorite designers.  Giambattista Villa.

Salma Hayek Pinault in Gucci.   A lot of people loved this.  It IS pretty, but maybe for New Years Eve, not the Oscars.

Cate Blanchett in Louis Vuitton.  NEVER, NEVER did I ever think that Cate Blanchett would make my Worst Dressed list.  That just does not happen.   This is not the worst of the night.  Far from it.  BUT, it’s the worst of Cate’s award show looks.   Really, I’m in shock.  She never misses.

 

 

TEMS.  This might be the worst of the night.  Not sure who TEMS is exactly, but she wore a bridal veil and nothing else to the Oscars.

Here she is blocking the view of everyone sitting behind her.  Probably six people behind her could not see a thing except for a bridal veil.

Lesley Paterson.  A screenwriter.  WTF???  Those shoes!!!!!!  The legs!!!  The colors!!!   This ties with the bridal veil for the worst of Oscars 2023.

 

BEAUTIFUL – ALMOST BEST DRESSED, BUT…

Allison Williams

I love this designer.  Giambatistta Villa.  Just not the row of feathers at the hem.  Why add them?  I’m so over feathers!!

This could have been a contenda.

 

Mindy Kaling.  She made this Vera Wang dress to her specs.  The dress was black with a sheer inset.  She ordered white, with open bodice, and gloves.  Yet. In what may be a first, a couture dress was worn by two people!

Ruby Bell wore the original Vera Wang without the gloves or peplum.  How could this happen?  Someone needs to sue!

On the show, Mindy changed to the original black version with the black sleeves.  OK. But is it cute to wear it twice?   Well Elizabeth Banks did.

Rihanna in brown leather and sheer Alaia.

Nicole Kidman in Armani Prive.   Two roses are too much, but what a stunning dress!

 

More.

 

 

Janelle Monae in Vera Wang.  Almost Best, but the top is ill fitting. Still, I love this look and the choker.

 

 

Halle Berry.  Another pretty one.  Another tall platform shoes.  But look close, the shoes don’t fit and her little toe is almost hanging out.  Later, at the after party – she was visibly limping.

Besides the toe fiasco, I LOVE her hair!!!!  She looks gorgeous.

BEST DRESSED

With her Mia Farrow hair and luminous skin, red lip, and diamond necklace – she was one of the best dressed of the night.  Perfection.

Emily Blunt.  More perfection.  So chic.  A column of white with pink chandelier earrings.  No hair.

Maybe her best look ever.

Lady Gaga in Atelier Versace.  Gaga has never looked so sophisticated.  It was a gasp moment when she walked in.  She stunned.

 

Gigi Hadid wore the dress on the runway a few days ago and Gaga snatched it up. 

So many last minute decisions about what to wear.  You would think they would have the dress picked out for months.

 

 

From the back, the dress was daring!  To say the least. 

When she sang for the show, all her makeup was removed and her face was completely naked.   Just like her tushy.   Actually, just like in A Star Is Born.

FAN BINGBING.  Gorgeous.  Over dramatic cape with silver sequins keeping the dress looking new and fresh.

The earrings.  Her hair and makeup were perfect.  Just beautiful old Hollywood glam.

Best Dressed, Second Place.

Florence Pugh in Valentino.  She is runner up Best Dressed.  Over tall platform 40s shoes.  Shorts under the exaggerated cape.

Her hair is so punk, like her jewelry.  The bow is a killer.

Runner Up Best Dressed.  Hard decision though not to put her in first place.

Florence is an incredible actress.  She’s starred in some quiet indie films that I’ve really enjoyed.   I love her fashion sense too – here are a few of her other looks from the awards circuit:

Cannes.

Valentino’s show this year.

Best Dressed:

 

Cara Delevingne in Elie Saab and Stuart Weitzman Shoes.  I literally stopped breathing when she walked up to the carpet.  Now if only she had painted her toes. 

 

 

This is a grown up version of Florence’s dress.  THIS is an Oscar dress. Black tulle lining.

  Bla

That necklace.  That eye make up.

One more time.   Cara just knocks it out of the park when she tries.  No one can beat her.

I didn’t have time to go full out on the after parties, but a few people stood out:

Gigi with blonde hair like Veronica Lake.  Stunning.  Chic.  Gorgeous.

A huge surprise was Sharon Stone.  I think she looks Oscar worthy here.

 

Heidi Klum.  What ever happened to her?

Even the shoes are horrid.

Lisa Rinna.  A deconstructed Gaultier. Wow.  How ugly can you get?

Ozempic, me?  Nah.

Sienna Miller – she even has the Ozempic face now.  It’s enough Sienna. 

Kyle Richards had a huge weight loss due to cutting out carbs and sugar.  She swears she didn’t take Ozempic.

.

My favorite of the night!  Nancy Pelosi and her still injured husband Paul. 

So cute!

Nancy is wearing – Giambattista Villa!!!!  Darling!!!

80 comments :

  1. Wow. Congratulations on your Fulbright Scholarship in bullying. My mother always said that if we didn’t have something nice to say we shouldn’t say it at all. Apparently you were raised by wolves. I’m praying none of the people you were so critical of were mustering every ounce of energy it took to get dressed up for a celebration they didn’t want to show up to in the first place. Insensitive, unnecessary, completely devoid of grace and tact. Yeah for all those girls straightening the others crown…just wow. So 2023. At least none of them were speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God. Go troll somewhere else. It’s called critiquing. Don’t take yourself so seriously. I’m confident no one I commented on good or bad will read my blog.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with the above anonymous post and I have the same comment as I left for the previous post (SAGS). Joni, I have followed you for years and have always enjoyed your posts and have learned so much from you, but unlike most of the comments here I have to say that I am disappointed with these two particular posts. I may agree with a few of your ideas, but it seems like you have become really harsh with some of your comments and criticisms. Is a few cringe worthy laughs at their expense really worth it? I'm sure that you are a much kinder person than you come across as in these posts... at least I really hope so!

      Delete
    3. Trolling??? Really Joni... you sure can give it out, but seems like you really can't take it. Besides, why can't you simply post a blog celebrating "The best looks of the Oscars", "The looks that turned our heads", or "The outfits that we are obsessed with" and just keep it positive and uplifting!
      P.S. This is not the person who posted the first anonymous comment.

      Delete
    4. Hello Joni, You absolutely nailed it! The snow flake anonymous comments are a travesty…it’s absolutely no wonder that one can hardly find honest worthy reviews of anything since only nice things can be said…wouldn’t wish to hurt anyone’s feelings. Ironically, the commentary helps one get the thick skin needed to be able to survive in any situation. Keep up your wonderful blog..been reading ‘I think’ since around 2007…absolutely wonderful blog and exceptional post! Thank you for ‘writing’ what most people were thinking!

      Delete
    5. I'll just add this. Actually, I find most celebrities especially narcissistic. Few stars show up for the award while most show up to be looked at. Meryl Streep is an example. She never dressed to be looked at. You dress up in a 10,000 plus dress and jewels that cost more, there is no reason why you can't state your own opinion sense as the fan, you pay their bills and pay for the dress with each ticket you buy or each download. I've spent a small fortune this year on movies and I'll be damned if I can't give my opinion on my own blog. My JOB here is to be interesting and I don't think an entire story on how pretty everyone looked or how wonderful even the most heinous gown was would be well received. In short. I AM a nice person. I very nice person. I tip generously and say thank you and please at all times. I rarely if ever fight with anyone, including a crazed neighbor, excluding my bestie, and I resent being told I am too nice to give my opinion, if it is negative. While I hate losing readers, do feel free to slam the door on me if reading that Siriano designed the ugliest gown to mankind, of which others said the exact same thing.

      Delete
    6. As Katherine Hepburn one said: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

      Delete
    7. Joni I love your sense of humor and the way you critique the styles. I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion, but don't be intimidated by the trolls! Keep us humorously informed!

      Delete
    8. Hi Joni, I totally agreed with almost everything you said - the only disagreement was Florence Pugh who looked absolutely dreadful in my opinion. I hated her dress, her hair, her nose ring etc. Unlike Cara, she just couldn't carry it off. Otherwise you nailed it! Love your reviews, please keep it up.

      Delete
  2. If you think Florence Pugh looked good, you need a vision test. Also, it’s hard to get past all the tattoos and nose rings. Let’s face it, Hollywood glamour is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. horrible

      Delete
    2. What makes younger women think tats nose rings are attractive? They're lower class, and studies have said that men think women who have them are "easy". I also really disliked the dress with shorts.

      Delete
  3. I knew you were a woman after my own heart. I hated "Everything" as well. I thought it was boring and predictable. Still amazed it won the best picture award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s all political. And a ridiculous waste of time and money.

      Delete
  4. The red gown Cara D is wearing knocks out every other gown in the show! And yes, Ram C looked like a prince! What a shame there were still some people wasting their time in the spotlight, wearing something that they thought would be shocking or beautiful that looked like they got it out of a used clothes store or costume shop. The one lovely lady with the Marge Simpson hairdo ..I have to ask: How do you think she got in the car?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing and reading this was more fun than the Oscars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree. Love the fashion commentary.

      Delete
    2. Also agree. You did your job well, Joni.

      Delete
  6. I love your lists! You are always spot on! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love your design blog, but you really were a little harsh on what people wore. a little kindness goes a long way . High fashion is not for everyone. How would the clothes in your closet be rated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I announced that in my affection for Hanes sweats.

      Delete
    2. Folks are touchy today, aren’t they? I always enjoy your for fun posts. I disagree about Eva Longoria’s dress though. I thought it was gorgeous. Maybe photo of her was from weird angle?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your recap-- I look forward to reading it every year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a fun read. Thanks for all the hard work. Don't always totally agree, but enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! One small correction. Nalvany is a Russian, not a Soviet opposition figure. The Soviet Union dissolved in 1991 when Ukraine and Georgia voted to withdraw from it -- leaving the Russia Federation today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, Joni! You tell it like you see it...I may not agree with everything you said, but I so enjoy your critique! Thanks for the fun post. Oh, and I disliked "Everything," too. The title of the movie described it exactly--it was a hot mess and I do not understand how it won Best Film. Maybe someone out there can explain it? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fan BingBing and Sharon Stone were the two best looks in my book. I don't even know who FBB is and her cape was a bit overdone for me, but that close up of her made her look like the most beautiful lady in the world. I love emerald green and not even Liz Taylor herself looked that good in emeralds. Good on SS for looking so regal. Actually, a lot of good looks this time. I'll just add that I liked Kate Hudson's dress a lot, and Harry Shrum Jr. looked fabulous. It's hard to improve on the classic tux but it worked in his case. I was happy to see a Nehru jacket. I've always liked them. I was not happy to see the platform shoes. God, those are so ugly! I had a pair years ago and got rid of them because I kept falling off of them. A few twisted and broken ankles and the trend will quickly die off, hopefully for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about Fan. She is gorgeous and looked gorgeous

      Delete
  13. Hysterically laughed often at your commentary! And mostly, I agree with your comments. However there are NO FEATHERS on the Allison Williams dress; the hem is simply cut in choppy little triangles, mimicking feathers, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those feathers at the hem of the dress??????

      Delete
    2. i believe it is tulle...

      Delete
  14. When I saw Cate Blanchett, I gasped, the blue was beautiful, but the dress, especially the shoulders was not for her! I said : "What will Joni think?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!! Shocked. I think she is the most chic woman. Even her worst is best.

      Delete
  15. According to my grown children, "Dope" means cool

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I had been sitting behind that rude woman with the huge cloud on her head, my watch would have accidentally gotten caught in it , causing it to pull backwards and perhaps, rip, as I attempted to remove my Cartier from the silk abomination. Only after I had politely asked her to pull it down, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some actresses really have no manners or breeding. Not only was the dress horrid, it blocked other peoples' views. Very rude. The same goes for the actress with the Marge Simpson hair.

      Delete
    2. Agreewith everything you sad. (She isactually a songwriter.)

      Delete
  17. Apparently you missed the performance of Angela Bassett. She was playing a lower class, vulgar narcissist, and a sore loser. The only gown I as suprised with was Cate Blanchett. She always looks fabulous. This gown really missed the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joni! Love your take on fashion (yes, sweats are the best!) and I agree w most of your critiques/praise, but I have to take issue w Florence Pugh. That hair-do, that silly bow, but most of all that nose ring. I have never been able to figure out the appeal of those. I can barely look at anyone with one of those hideous things! Now, do you want to discuss her other dress with the bikini underpants showing through? Cara was divine and Jennifer Connelly looked hard. That dress was so severe! Loved Angela Bassett’s look. Pure Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to explain why something appeals to someone where it doesn't to another. Like for instance Angela. I just didn't love her purple look. I hate purple for some reason. But the moment I saw Florence it just appealed to me on every level in a way that can't be explained.

      Delete
    2. I for one LOVE your lists and look forward to your thoughts every year. Who watches this absolute rubbish for any other reason than to see/discuss the clothes?? Anyway, I do appreciate your thoughts, but I can't agree on many of them this year (except Cara D - I really don't "get" her at all as a top model, but when she tries, WOW, it becomes obvious). Anyway it was the Florence P that I was scratching my head at - she is definitely adorable and talented, but I just think she always gets the clothes wrong. The oscar look was absolutely horrid IMO, and her other looks weren't great either. She needs a stylist who is able to dress her actual body.

      Delete
  19. Nancy Pelosi always looks as though her false teeth are about to fall out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren’t false! Trump started that.

      Delete
    2. She does not have false teeth, veneered maybe but not false. She looked fabulous for 83 yrs !

      Delete
    3. I thought this was one post where you might get through these days without mentioning politics, but alas...

      Delete
  20. The top three in my opinion: FanBingBing, Alison Williams (no feathers on here Joni), and Cara Delavingne (sp?), even though I did not like the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most hideous: Molly Sims, Lesley Paterson, Tems, Cate Blanchett, Salma Hayak, Sandra OH. Addendum: After I saw the other photos of Cara's dress, I loved the color.

      Delete
    2. Heidi Klum is also on the most hideous list. I though Sofia Carson's dress was lovely, and those emeralds! They were the most beautiful jewels there.

      Delete
  21. Oh! Joni! Thank Goodness for you and your hilarious and good-natured critique! Never stop with your honesty and humor! If you can't take it, get out of the spotlight!! Absolutely spot on! Stars used to care about looking their best. One ridiculous, unbecoming outfit after another. My absolute favorites were
    Emily Blunt, and Cara. That Bulgari snake necklace did if for me!!!! All these comments criticisizing your
    critique miss the point! What else are these women doing except showing off their taste and star power. Some were complete disasters, wearing things that were the opposite of glamorous and elegant.
    By the way, so glad you said you hated the movie "Everything"! I am sure I would too, so you saved me!
    Brava Joni!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Nancy Pelosi and her husband, all political stuff aside. They’re 82 for G_d’s sake! He certainly has star quality and she looks marvelous. If this is 82, I’m feeling better about this aging thing..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joni, Sofia Carson, Hallie Bailey & Emily Blunt were the very most elegant, IMO.
    Your toes & shoes comments crack me up! Thanks for a fun escape!
    I cant wait to see the documentary, about Nalvalny. TY

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, and Lady Gaga, au naturel, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never cared for her until Star and now I just love everything about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way - Gaga seemed depressed last night. Even on the red carpet, she seemed down. She is prone to depression and it made me feel awful for her having to be there if she really was sad.

      Delete
  26. Wonderful Images of the Actress and Actor I would love it. Thanks for sharing valuable images. Just check the link for more : Pakcricknews

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sad Rihanna’s song did not win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cara is extraordinarily beautiful, and that dress is perfect in shape, colour and style for her. I was surprised she didn't have a redder lipstick to go with. Florence is a great actor but she looked like she'd pulled the sheets off the bed and ran to the door wrapping them around her on the way to get the ubereats delivery! For some of those gorgeous women ... it's desperately sad when beautiful women don't have the courage in their souls to let themselves age gracefully, and shocking that, even now, cosmetic surgery is so badly done so often. We do hold those screen goddesses to impossibly high standards, don't we. As for those stupid platform shoes, ugh ugh ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved every word of your recap! Your honesty is so refreshing in a time when people so offended over EVERYTHING! So ridiculous. I say, bring on the opinions - good or bad and let's not take things so seriously. Though, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who feels that way or shows like Gutfeld wouldn't be so popular! Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mention Gutfeld to Joni...ha!

      Delete
  30. One note - this is who "Tems" is, and what she was wearing, from The Guardian: "Nigerian singer Temilade Openiyi, better known as Tems, has made Oscars history by becoming the first Nigerian artist to be nominated for an Oscar. This S-shaped tulle cloud dress is by Ukrainian-born designer, Lessja Verlingieri." So, quite an accomplishment, for both women!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't give a flying who either one of them are. She was blocking about six people's view- she is not more important than any of them. Someone in charge should have asked her politely to pull it down after being seated.

      Delete
  31. Congratulations to Tems for her nomination but wearing that gigantic swath of toilet paper screamed “Look at me, I’m more important.” Both she and the designer had to know that it blocked other attendees’ views but didn’t care. Disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than disappointing. I'd have pulled it down(accidently...ha!) if she were in front ofme.

      Delete
  32. Florence Pugh as best dressed???? OMG-that outfit is HORRID!!!

    But I agree with all of your other assessments - SPOT ON!! I was SO looking forward to your critique and once again, you didn't disappoint -- EXCEPT for Florence Pugh.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gigi Hadid was so stunnig on her gown!

    ReplyDelete
  34. As for the best dressed, Florence Pugh? The clothing is HORRIBLE, OMG!

    But, I concur with all of your other conclusions – SPOT ON! Except for Florence Pugh, you didn't let me down when you delivered your review, which I was Really looking forward to.
    POS Software

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence Pugh, who is the best dressed? OMG, the clothing is HORRIBLE!

      However, I agree with all of your other conclusions - SPOT ON! Except for Florence Pugh, you did not disappoint when you delivered your review, which I was eagerly anticipating.CFAHome

      Delete
  35. Joni, it is so fun reading you! I miss Joan Rivers and her red carpet...they should hire you to take her place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I was going to say. Such FUN! We miss Joan Rivers; this Joni is a wonderful stand-in. Loved it!

      Delete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Before finishing your article, was thinking there is zero possibility I could write a single sentence about 'fashion' in any sense. Oddly, have always learned best via qualified 'critique'. Thank you for the learning here.

    Off topic, but not, are the professional architectural critiques of Herbert Muschamp. I was selfishly thinking, JONI DIG DEEPER, GO FULL OUT HERBERT !!! Herbert taught legions, thru his critique. Why did anyone pay attention to Herbert? Love, Herbert's heart-on-his-sleeve basis for writing a single word about architecture, was his love for it.

    If you don't know him, enjoy:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Muschamp ,
    https://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/arts/design/04muschamp.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/by/herbert-muschamp
    https://www.architectmagazine.com/design/herbert-muschamps-legacy_o
    https://www.metalocus.es/en/news/after-10-years-tribute-herbert-muschamp-architecture-critic-new-york-times
    https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-City-Selected-Writings-Muschamp/dp/0375404066

    Bought his, Hearts Of The City Book, and have a huge critique. The book is too heavy to read laying in bed at nite.

    You will enjoy Herbert's style Joni, his critiques are over the top intellectually, with great depth of sly/dry humor, while going seemingly off topic to take the knock-out punch using a vastly different art form as metaphor, after having traveled globally and locally all the while, with heart-on-your-sleeve feel it in your gut endearment. He gave new meaning to 'raw'.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the recommendations on Herbert Muschamp Tara - fascinating and ever so engaging :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. All kind of sports related news are available here. Latest sports updates and information.
    DoFollow

    ReplyDelete