COTE DE TEXAS: A New Kitchen Redo on a Budget

A New Kitchen Redo on a Budget

 

I love hearing from readers who have gotten inspiration from stories on Cote de Texas.  Reading about your personal decorating stories make it all worthwhile.   It’s so much fun to see how one person is influenced from a redo, which in turn inspires another person’s redo.    And, that’s exactly what happened with this story.  Enjoy!

 

Below are the two kitchen renovations that inspired a reader’s own redo:

Inspiration Kitchen #1

image

BEFORE:   what this kitchen looked liked with white Corian,  white appliances, yellow walls, and an inset sink.

 

image

AFTER:    For this client, I kept the changes simple.   The white Corian was changed out for honed black granite and a creamy white subway tile backsplash.  White appliances became stainless and a farm sink was added, along with a new faucet and knobs.  

 

I wrote about this kitchen redo last summer HERE and HERE.   It was part of a complete remodeling of the family room, dining room and study.   The house is almost 15 years old now and the kitchen was becoming dated.  We could have ripped the whole room out and started over, but the cabinets were still in good shape.  Instead of a total renovation, the client opted for a more economical facelift.   In the end, we changed out the counters and appliances and sink.   We also painted the cabinets and the walls.  

 

image

AFTER:  The kitchen has a large, curved bar that leads into the family room and breakfast area.   We painted the yellow walls a soft aqua so that the kitchen flowed into the family room.

 

 

INSPIRATION KITCHEN #2

 

image

BEFORE:   This homeowner wrote me that she was inspired to redo her kitchen after seeing Sally Wheat’s kitchen on my blog.   This kitchen was a total gut job, along with the living room, dining room, and family room.  To read this homeowner’s story, go HERE.

 

 

image

AFTER:   What a transformation!   This kitchen, inspired by Sally Wheat’s kitchen, in turn inspired reader Corey, another blogger, to redo her own kitchen.   What’s interesting is that Corey wasn’t inspired by Sally Wheat’s kitchen, even though Sally’s kitchen inspired this homeowner.  Such a tangled web of kitchen redos!

 

Corey, who writes the blog, And Emma Makes 5, lives in North Carolina with her husband, two sons and her adopted “Russian princess.”   She is a part time pharmacist and her husband is a dentist who is currently building his practice.   Corey says that while money is not “extremely tight” – she doesn’t like to spend extravagantly.   When it came time to change her kitchen after unhappily living with it for seven years, they decided on a small redo, rather than a large one.   The major problem was aesthetic – Corey disliked  the countertops – which were made out of 4” square tiles.  In fact, not only did she dislike the countertops, she hated them!    Originally, all Corey was going to do was replace the countertops,  but as we all know – one thing leads to another – and she ended up spending around $5,000. to get the kitchen of her dreams.    To keep costs down, she did much of the work herself.  

 

image

BEFORE:   Here is Corey’s kitchen with the dreaded 4” square tiled countertop and backsplash.  The dark walls and tiles made it all seem so much duller, too.

 

 

image

AFTER:   What an amazing redo!!!!!   Corey bought her Uba Tuba granite from Costco, which was a huge savings.   Uba Tuba looks dark enough to appear black and provides a great contrast with white subway tiles.   Since the product is economical – they saved a lot of money on the countertops.   Corey removed the backsplash herself – another big savings.   She also painted the kitchen.   The subway tiles came from Lowes Hardware.   These 3 x 6 tiles cost only 25 cents each!!!  She got the pendant lights at a discount, but truthfully – they look just as nice to me as the more expensive ones.   The remodeling was finished just in time for Christmas – so all her decorations are out, including her collection of Santas on top of the cabinets.   As far as the appliances – she only had to replace the range and microwave to stainless, which was another cost savings.  The dark walls were painted a light blue/gray which make the black and white pop.   The paint color is Benjamin Moore Iceberg.   The new kitchen is so fresh looking compared to how it looked before.   Also notice in the foyer on the left –  Corey and her mom recently added the board and batten.  It really looks great!

 

image

BEFORE:  The range and microwave were replaced with stainless.

 

image

AFTER:  Everything just gleams in the redone kitchen!    Notice the attractive handles on the range.  When choosing appliances, I always try to opt for ones with attractive handles.  The Uba Tuba looks wonderful – though it actually is greenish, it comes off looking black.  The under cabinet lighting helps to make the kitchen sparkle.

 

 

image

Another view – looking into the family room with this year’s Christmas tree. 

 

 

 

 

image

The sink is now a inset stainless one.  I love the wall color – Benjamin Moore Iceberg – its perfect against the white and  black. 

 

 

 

  5180408316_70906b57b9_b

BEFORE:  dark walls, fluorescent lighting. 

 

 

5258666765_60b2df5099_b

AFTER:  Close up of the ceiling without the fluorescent lighting and with the new pendant light fixtures.  Corey bought them HERE.

 

 

image

Close up of the Uba Tuba granite. 

 

 

 

image

Corey and her family were lucky to have a White Christmas.  Her house is sooo cute!!!!   To read Corey’s own account of the kitchen remodeling on her blog, go HERE.  Also, if you are interested in international adoption, her blog is a great place to read about her family’s journey  and to link with other families who have wonderful stories to share of their own adoptions overseas. 

Thank you Corey so much for sharing your story!!!!!

 

 

Refrigerator Question:

image

One question I frequently get asked about is – what to do with refrigerators that aren’t built in.   In fact, Corey herself asked me for advice on her refrigerator.   I faced this problem in my own kitchen – a lot of people do.  One day, Corey could easily make her refrigerator appear built in by replacing the upper cabinet and adding wood around its sides.  

 

 

 

image

This homeowner faced the same problem – the refrigerator looks like it sticks out.   Again, the upper cabinet is the culprit. 

 

 

 

image

In my own kitchen, my very inexpensive refrigerator looks sort of built in because the cabinetry above it was built out to cover the top.

 

 

image

A side view of my built in cabinet. 

 

 

 

image

In Inspiration Kitchen #2 – the homeowner did exactly what I did – she built the cabinets out  to make it appear built in. 

 

 

image

And, in another kitchen renovation that was featured on Cote de Texas, this homeowner used the same trick to make her refrigerator look built in.   Read her story HERE.

 

Eagle Eyed Reader – the best kind:

 

image

I’ve written many times of my love of gray painted or Kooboo wicker.   I especially love this chair shape.   While some stores claim these chairs come from Belgian, I’m not so sure about that.   Maybe they do, but copies from Indonesia are available.    I can buy chairs like these wholesale, so they are cheaper than finding them at places like Mecox.  But still, what if you can’t buy wholesale and spending $500 to $800 on a wicker chair is out of your budget?

 

 

image

Eagle-eyed reader Karen emailed me this ad for these chairs at World Market!  WOW  $129!!!!   Now, granted, these chairs may not be as substantial as the “Belgian” chairs, but still, what a great look for so much less!!!   And the two chairs DO look remarkably alike.  I wonder.  Hmmm.  I don’t think you can buy these online though – so count yourself lucky if there is a World Market near you. 

OK.  I had to laugh at this ad – it says “This ain’t your grandma’s wicker!”   Should I scream plagiarism?   Back in May when I wrote about the new gray wicker HERE, I called the story – “No More Granny Wicker” – Think World Market read it?   hehe.   Just send me four chairs and we’ll call it even.   I WISH!!!!!

 

Thanks Karen for sending in the ad!

 

A huge thank you to all the homeowners and readers, especially Corey, whose kitchens were shown today.  If you have a special remodeling story to share, be sure to email me and let me know!! 

AND, finally, if you are Lisa Proper, will you please email me??????  Thanks!

 

70 comments :

  1. Your blog is such a great resource! I don't know how many kitchens in my "kitchen file" have been snagged from your blog! You definitely reflect my style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Kudos to Corey for a spectacular re-do and as always, you , Joni for your inspiration....your motto should be- "beautifying America's kitchens and homes one at a time!" lol :)
    -linda,ny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please give us a hint to the soft aqua you used!!!LOVE IT!!! I am struggling so much with my pending shift from a similar soft yellow and that aqua is just what I'm aiming for

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, so much inspiration! Thanks Joni!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm learning so much here! I see projects like this one and I truly want to redo my WHOLE house. The thing is I am selling this place and I want to find an older place with loads of character. Posts like this one will be so handy! :-)


    Talking about handy... I've made a post today about SMALL SPACES and if you can take a look I'd be REALLY HAPPY! Let me know what you think, ok?

    Have a Blessed Day!

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't dare put my kitchen on here ... it is yuk .. Dark wood, dark tiles .. horrible floor , needs a total refit .. and it is odd shape .. and a fireplace wall in it .. wish I knew someone like you to revamp mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite a transformation and kudos to you and your site for being part of the inspriration behind the change! I like that you represent so many styles, budgets and perspectives....that is why you are so popular! Hope you guys might want to check out my new blog (only less than a week old but getting better by the day)

    www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this post. Very practical and inspring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely (INSPIRATION) as im -re-decorating my family-living-kitchen, Im so Thrilled for your blog , your design and ideas.. THANK YOU..
    Karryann
    Love the makeovers..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post - I am saving this one. We have a disaster of a kitchen and I have been eyeing marble for about 10 years. Thanks for the refrigerator tip - I didn't even think about the depth of the cabinets.
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joni, how fabulous to see that you don't need to take out a 3rd mortgage to achieve a wonderful kitchen transformation. Just some careful planning, good research & determination to stick to your budget. Now that MOTH's finally turned our Bathroom-From-Hell into our Bathroom-From-Heaven, our c.1972 kitchen is next in line to feel the full force of his sledge hammer. My only concern is that the bathroom took him 2 yrs., so I may cooking dinners outside on the BBQ for a very, very long time!
    Millie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OVERWHELMING GRATITUDE!!!! Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of your blog! You are an amazing inspiration to all of us readers every day!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post. And Ikea has some grayish wicker chairs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SUCH a thrill to see my name in a Joni post - thanks!! :)

    Still can't stop laughing about the 'granny wicker'...

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joni! I just adore these kitchen re=do's. I so want to re=do mine but the hubby says no. It's really not bad, it's just not 'me'! hehe
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad to read your advice about the built in look for fridges, as I am going to need that. Love the wicker chairs....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited you featured these chairs on your blog because I bought 6 last week! You've justified my purchase since I follow your blog regularly. The chairs surround my zinc top farmhouse table. They're well made and super comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always fun to see the before and after shots, especially when there is a smaller budget for the end result...and the chairs? great find!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your post. Great ideas. For Anonymous these chairs from Cost Plus are fabulous. They look just as expensive as any designer wicker chair and the color is perfect. If I didn't already have chairs I would redo all of mine. They are the perfect grayish color and look very expensive. If you told someone you got them at Restoration or a showroom no one would know any different. I did a post on 10-15 (don't know how to do links) regarding these chairs and a table that cost plus has that in person looks super expensive and paired with these chairs they look amazing. I would add fabric chairs. If you have a client looking for a high end look and can't afford $500 -$800 chairs this is a perfect solution. Joni if you saw them in person you would love them. Check the table out too (I don't know how to link so I put the date of the post) you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was so much fun to see, Joni! I loved these makeovers. It makes me wan to do mine!!!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joni, Question for you. We are going to do a mini kitchen re-do. I have 3 kids and a husband who loves to cook but isn't a neat cook! I have always thought black granite would be work better for us than anything else. That said, does it matter whether it's polished or honed? Wouldn't polished be somewhat easier to clean?

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a great ideas for adorable kitchen, these kitchens are stylish trendy designed ...and new look ....really i impressed.
    Built in Cabinet

    ReplyDelete
  23. such a great ideas for adorable kitchen, these kitchens are stylish trendy designed ...and new look ....really i impressed.
    Built in Cabinet

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrific inspirational yet practical post. Makes it all worth while!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You always have such great ideas and I LOVE Corey's Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. All those kitchens are a wonderful blend of traditonal and modern. I love that you place a leather bench and cowhide in yours! It's makes for a much richer story when people share their inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay Corey! Beautiful kitchen, and how exciting to be on the fabulous Cote de Texas!!

    Jennifer
    myadoptionwebsite.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very interesting post Joni! We all learn a lot about it! I love the redo of Corey's kitchen a lot!
    And you gave the readers a wonderful idea for the fridge, that looks as it is built in!
    Great post!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  29. Merr from Locust HillJanuary 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM

    Loved this! Thirty years ago I wanted that built-in look when we were building our home (a new concept then.) I had the builder "bump-out" a space into the laundry room behind the refridgerator to achieve it! We then installed a register in that wall to vent the hot air from the fridge into the laundry room in the summer - instant efficient drip-dry room!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a gorgeous redo! I'm seeing white or white/grey kitchens everywhere these days and this may be the year I get off my rump and do something about the fugly kitchen we have.

    I'm curious to know if the carrara is OK for messy ccoks or if black granite (polished or unpolished as Cathy asked above) is the better bet? We've had it in the bathrooms but wondering how it does with hot pans and tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love, love, love all the inspiration! I am a devoted fan of Cote de Texas and cannot start my day until I have my coffee and Cote de Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Joni, you continue to inspire us!! Thank you again for your help with my kitchen. I love it everyday and think of you.
    Julie in Fort Worth, "Reader's Remodeled Kitchen"

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love re-dos! Thank you and your readers for sharing them! I love this latest one!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Both your kitchen and Sally's impacted my kitchen renov. ...plus my own "stamp" and now I am using some elements from all three for a client. Always, look forward to your posts, Joni!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  35. Joni these are stunning transformations!! Great job as always and lot's of inspiration here!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for the tip about the refrigerator. I've been having trouble finding a fridge short enough to go under the upper cabinet over the fridge. Now I know what to do, take it out, buy the fridge I want, and build the cabinet out, and use the doors from the original cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  37. There are very few posts that go into my long term "save" pile. This is one of them. Thanks for your fabulous blog! I wish you were in Chicago and could oversee my kitchen redo!
    CC
    http://Currentlychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have almost the same kitchen design as you've posted here! Uba tuba countertops, creamy cabinets, and the Lowe's subway tile in white. I just wish I had read this post about the fridge trick! I keep saying to my husband (who built the kitchen) why is the fridge sticking out so much? Can't it be more aligned with the cabinets?! Now I understand (another thing for his list, ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is what I love most about blogs we all take away and give so much, it's very exciting to see! All these kitchens are so wonderful, great choices in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The kitchen re-do for your client I thought was wonderful! And, I enjoy seeing all the reader pics you share...so inspiring to many to see what can be accomplished on a tight budget!

    Too funny about those wicker chairs, because when I saw them and thought of you and few other who love the Belgian look. I thought they were quite good for the price!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cathy Harvill: I'm not sure if honed is easier to clean than polished? maybe the surface is slicker so that sponge glides easier? but honed is soft too. it's probably a toss up.

    Thanks everyone for your kind comments!!!! send me your redos!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  42. I so enjoyed the inspiring pictures of the kitchen re-dos! Also, thanks for pointing me in the direction of Corey's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Joni- Love this web of remodeled kitchens! Just wonderful!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is the most inspiring kitchen post in a long time. It goes strait to my files.
    Yesterday I've gotten a new stove and dishwasher.
    I could not be happier! Slowly my kitchen gets it's well deserved make over, still. we do it piece by piece. Next will be resurfaced cabinets and granite counter tops...
    Great inspiration from one blogger to others...this is the spirit!!!
    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  45. LOVE IT!:)
    I really like it, so elegant and beautiful!
    xxx gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  46. May I leave a question in this comment section? I would love to use marble or limestone when I redo my kitchen but any contractor I speak with strongly advises me against it. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  47. I adore that fabric in the breakfast room of the first kitchen. My own dining room has a similar wall color and black furniture, and I would love to do the host and hostess chairs in something similar! Who is the fabric by?

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm in the middle of making over my tiny kitchen on a tiny budget and this has been the kick in the pants to get finished. Just beautiful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Southgate it's the Windsor smith fabrics from Kravet!!!

    Mmj I have marble and love it. Just be sure it's honed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love your blog--you are very generous with your time and knowledge compiling all this. Thanks!
    Pottery Barn has introduced some rattan dining chairs with a grey wash that look similar too - called Torrey and priced at $350.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hey look in to see how you have it. Here in Sweden with me, right now gray weather. Up north, it is well still cold and much snow. And this was wonderful kitchen..thanks Have a good day now / Maria

    ReplyDelete
  52. What fantastic before & afters! I loved seeing every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  53. so much inspiration! which is the soft aqua you used?

    ReplyDelete
  54. I just saw some lovely Kooboo Wicker chairs at The Home Source on Post Oak. They have them sitting outside! I didn't see the price. I was eating at CPK and i could see the out of the window. Now I'm so wishing I had gone over and checked on them!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Joni,
    I love to troll craigslist for antiques, not stuffy ones, but you know...some hidden treasure. Can I tell you I have seen so many trestle tables on craigslist? Sure, some could be sanded to get rid of the shiny pine look, but it wouldn't take more than a day. And, if you wanted to go that far, white washing isn't hard at all (they keep calling it 'limed' but I doubt anyone is truly liming the wood...white pickled stain would work on clean/unfinished wood)
    Anyway, not sure what the market is like in TX, but check craigslist for trestle.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Showed the kitchen post above to my friends daughter who is looking for a redo inspriation on not such an over the top level. They are on a budget (relatively speaking) She loved what she saw as I suspected she would and just wanted to say thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Sigh, I am so content when I get to scroll through your words and images Joni….just like the good old days of inspiring magazine articles…I just finished this months Country Home…REALLY not impressed.
    I really do miss our magazines.
    So, thanks to your site and hard work I get to add to my dream bank…ideas for my “someday” when we renovate.
    I too was looking for my PERFECT Trestle to adorned my eat in kitchen....was a little overwhelmed with the sticker price for a trendy table. Now I wish I had got it, because it is gone.
    I wound up getting a Farmhouse Style table, four straight, but big legs; from a luxury yard sale in the high rent district of New Port Beach, CA. I love Craigslist. My husband does not…it means I am going to start changing things up a bit in the house!
    Cant help it though..I only paid $400 for a great table.
    Also, on the Pottery Barn photo above, where exactly are we going to plug in a lamp if it is square in the middle of the coffee table! :)
    LOL
    Thanks again Joni for your hard work…we are reaping the benefits, I hope you finally are too!
    Cheers,
    Jennifer Hoff, Ladera Ranch, CA
    Mommy to 3 boys, community mental health advocate and dreamer.

    ReplyDelete
  58. ok..too late. will spell check much better next time.

    sorry everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  59. What is the name of the new paint color in Kitchen Redo #1? Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  60. louis vuitton uk are diversified in various kinds, handbags, backpacks, portable bags, purses, wallets and pouches. All kinds are popular among the whole word people.louis vuitton Store Online Handbags can also bring great accuracy as well as practical applicability and fashionable.Have you ever dreamed of being as charming as Madonna? Have you ever thought of becoming an envy of all your friends? If so, come to louis vuitton outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  61. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.All people give the good comments for the coach factory online, and now the Coach outlet store provides many discount goods online.Coach bags enjoy high popularity throughout the world. I would like to share the coach factory outlet online with you. What are you waiting for? Just come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  62. The Coach bag is from the latest release of Coach Bags. Its crisp, scribble material, leather handle, perfectly complements the relaxed shape of this stylish pouch. All the items of coach outlet online Store fit all of your essentials and more.Bright colors, exquisite workmanship, durable material and up-to-date style all lead to the great fame of the goods in coach outlet.As a fashion and modern lady, you can never have too many bags but Coach, Coach is a great leather handbags brand. coach outlet store online have different look according to different designer concept.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Black countertops are so cool

    ReplyDelete
  64. The one thing that you simply should feel of omega watches for sale whether you happen to be acquiring the real matter or not. Most men and women just believe of find a christmas gifts your value when shopping for discount handbags. They have to have to generally be certain that women rolex watches they may be buying would be the legitimate issue. It's very important that you know discount prada handbags you are finding. Analysis and be sure of the cheap chanel shopping that you're buying. You've to make certain that you happen to be getting the hermes birkin kelly handbags towards the less expensive price tag. Most of your time, these are just cheap louis vuitton handbags . So don't get fooled after you invest in these bags.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I liked all of the kitchen redo's:)

    ReplyDelete
  66. I absolutely gotten inspiration from your wonderful post.This is so cute and cool,creating is so awesome.I think overall this is excellent kitchen accessories.Thanks for the share lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Thanks for sharing this informative blog.I really like these designs of conference hall. I just hope to book this kind of venue for my business meetings in los angeles.Thanks for such a reliable blog post.

    boardroom tables & office reception desks

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wow! Your kitchen was really looking cool and very nice. Thanks for sharing. granite countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  69. The issues involving RedOne has been a popular topic amongst scholars for many years. The constantly changing fashionable take on RedOne demonstrates the depth of the subject. While much has been written on its influence on contemporary living, it is impossible to overestimate its impact on modern thought. It is estimated that that RedOne is thought about eight times every day by the easily lead, trapped by their infamous history.

    ReplyDelete